Need help recovering!

Albavenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Alright, so I think I screwed up.

I have an iMac 21" running Mountain Lion and I wanted to completely wipe it to return it to factory settings. I rebooted and went into Disk Utility and completely erased my Macintosh HD partition. That's good and all, but I need to install the actual OS onto that partition. Thing is, I lack the physical disk to do this. How can I put Mountain Lion onto my mac with no OS or disk?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I have a fully functional Windows 7 partition. Maybe I can somehow do it using that?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

I have an iMac 21" running Mountain Lion and I wanted to completely wipe it to return it to factory settings. I rebooted and went into Disk Utility and completely erased my Macintosh HD partition. That's good and all, but I need to install the actual OS onto that partition. Thing is, I lack the physical disc to do this. How can I put Mountain Lion onto my mac with no OS?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!
You can use a bootable USB.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I have an iMac 21" running Mountain Lion and I wanted to completely wipe it to return it to factory settings. I rebooted and went into Disk Utility and completely erased my Macintosh HD partition. That's good and all, but I need to install the actual OS onto that partition. Thing is, I lack the physical disk to do this. How can I put Mountain Lion onto my mac with no OS or disk?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I have a fully functional Windows 7 partition. Maybe I can somehow do it using that?
How did you erase Macintosh HD? Did you command-r boot and do it from there? If so, just command-r boot again and from that screen you will see the option to reinstall the OS.