Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnybrown09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
First of all, I'm using a second gen but that's not important. Since 3.0 is going to be out in the summer and touch users need to pay to upgrade. All I want to know is when first gen users upgraded to 2.0 did you all pay the ten bucks towards apple. And just curious, is there a way around paying? Just give me a yes/ no answer.

jlamb0

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
I gladly paid my $10 for 2.0, and I'll be overjoyed to pay it again for 3.0.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
First of all, I'm using a second gen but that's not important. Since 3.0 is going to be out in the summer and touch users need to pay to upgrade. All I want to know is when first gen users upgraded to 2.0 did you all pay the ten bucks towards apple. And just curious, is there a way around paying? Just give me a yes/ no answer.

1st gen owners had to pay. Twice. In January 2008 Apple released the 'January Software Upgrade' which added Mail, Maps, Notes, Weather and Stocks, as well as the ability to move icons on the home screen and lyrics - this cost $20. Then a few months later they made us pay $10 for 2.0...
The catch was, if you were a person that didn't buy the January upgrade, you got the extra apps as part of 2.0 anyway, so ultimately anyone that bought the upgrade and then 2.0 lost $20.

masterapple04

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Massachusetts, USA
There are ways around paying, but as others have said, it's only $10 and that really justifies the new features, at least to me. Give Apple their due - they put a lot of work into these releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.