Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChanged

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
Hi all.
I decided I had enough of Mail's 'misdemeanors' and completed erased every trace from my hard drive. The application, my messages, the preference files, the cache et al, only to realize my poor anger management. I use Snow Leopard 10.6.2, with Mail 4.2 configured on a Gmail IMAP account. I tried reinstalling mail using Pacifist, but the version provided in my installer disk being Mail 4.0, I learned that it's incompatible with the 10.6.2 updated version. I suppose there are no updates available for Mail specifically. In a wild goose chase, I ran software update in a bid to update ver. 4.0 to ver. 4.2, but to no avail. What should I do now? How do I this goddamn Mail working back again?

Top priority.. any help would be highly appreciated.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Reinstall Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) as the current version does not delete anything unless you format the drive with Disk Utility during the installation process.

Just start form the DVD by holding down "C" and follow the procedure and you should be fine.

No personal files get overwritten, after the installation is done and the Mac has booted up and logged you in again, it looks exactly like when you shut down/restarted the computer to boot from the DVD.

If you're anxious though make a backup of your personal data first, but I did that procedure last week (reinstall without erasing) and everything was still there, even the problem (which was not a missing application but an application (preference pane) to many, which could have been deleted prior to reinstallation though via Target Disk Mode, which I eventually did).

iChanged

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
That wold mean an archive and install of 10.6. Wouldn't it require me later on to re-run an update of 10.6.2 = 4 hours?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.