Need help reinstalling XP on a three partition system.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Andra, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Andra macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm using a MacBook Pro with three partitions:
    Macintosh HD: HFS+
    DATA: Fat32
    XP: NTFS

I've installed this using the following guide:
    http://twoyearstwodays.blogspot.com/2006/05/bootcamp-sharing-data-between-osx-and.html

XP got all buggy on me (I think it has to do with the device-drivers, since I kept hearing those "device-removed/device-added"-kaploinks) and decided to reinstall XP.

However, after reformating the XP drive, copying installation files (first step in the installation process) and rebooting I get a disk error and can't continue the installation. OSX boots fine (thank god), but my XP partition (that I used to be able to see) is gone. In Disk Utility it's marked as disk0s4 and is unmountable.

Googling around I found this post, which kind off confirmed my suspicions:
    http://macosx.com/forums/boot-camp-os-virtualization-mac/293147-error-xp-install.html

Together with this quote from the guide:
    I guess I somehow need to hide my Fat-32 DATA partition from the XP installation-process.

Am I right in this assumption?
    Does anyone know a way of doing this, without reformating my DATA partition? I can back it up, but I'm really not a fan of such drastic measures (yeah, I'm a wimp, so sue me :rolleyes: ).
    Is there something else that I could be doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yours,
    Andra.

2. Seeker macrumors newbie

Maybe it would help to say why you need to do this? Is it to share data? If so, it MAY be simpler to get a program on each end to let you read the data in the other partition.

I do the standard bootcamp thing, so the mac can read the XP (FAT, not NTFS) partition, and using a program called MacDrive (yes it costs money) I can read/write in the HFS+ partition - so I can store data there that XP can use. *IF* this is why you need three partitions, spending a little money vs a lof time might make it simpler???

3. Andra thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I need NTFS for video files larger than 4 Gigs in XP, and some programs like After Effects are supposed to work more efficiently on that file system. I need Fat32 for sharing between the two operating systems. And of course I need hfs+ for OSX.

I've still got the OSX and Fat32 partitions in good working order, and would like to keep them that way. I just need to figure out how to get my NTFS partition back and re-install XP on it.

Yours,
    Andra