Need help removing program.....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by veteq, Mar 5, 2008.

1. veteq macrumors member

I installed this beta VPN client for work that is causing me all kinds of problems. I tried removing it by dragging the folder to the garbage but still loads into the menu bar every time I reboot or switch users. Where could this program be, I checked the startup folder under library but that was empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

3. veteq thread starter macrumors member

that application requires that I have an icon to drop into it. I don't have an icon,
    it loads into the menu bar on boot up....

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Did you try to Spotlight the name of the app you are having problems and deleting everything that relates to it?

5. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

First, make sure you have a full backup, in case what you do screws up your system. Then do a couple of spotlight searches, one for the name of the app and one for the name of the company that makes it. Delete EVERYTHING that comes up, but don't empty the trash until you know your system works properly without the files. EDIT: Also, go into System Prefs > Accounts > Login items for all users and make sure to remove any programs related to the app.

If this still doesn't work, then your system files have been modded and that's a little more complicated to fix.

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

This is what I tried to suggest, but this is explained better. If you are lucky, this will be your fix.

7. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

On another note, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) for months to get Yojimbo completely off my system. .Mac still thinks it's there.

8. veteq thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for all the help. Spotlight couldn't find it. Last time will I will install a beta program.
    I am installing a clean copy of the OS as I type this (on a different computer). I will be testing timeMachine's backup shortly.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just delete the VPN connection that is found in Network System Preference - or you could simply uncheck the 'Show VPN status' in menubar checkbox. If it remains, just hold down Command and drag the icon out of the menubar.

Attached Files:

• VPN.png
      VPN.png
      File size:
      81.7 KB
      Views: