Need help replacing HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sunflower1971, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Sunflower1971 macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2009 mbp and I'm trying to install an osx to the blank hd with a boot able usb. I took the old hd out because I forced shutdown it wouldn't start back up. The problem in having is no installer is working at all. One time I got to the end of the installer but then it kept going back to the beginning where I chose a language and country and all that.

I used the other mac to install osx 10.11 to the harddrive in recovery mode then put it in the old mac but it just showed a folder with a question mark.

Is there something terminally wrong with my old mbp or could it be the flash drive or the installer?

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have you tested if you can boot to the installer okay on another Mac? I assume you used Disk Util to format the new drive first?

Do you have an external USB enclosure you can out the new drive in and try to install the OS using the USB key installer that way. It could be you have a bad internal drive cable, and installing to an external enclosure would eliminate the internal cable and tell you if that was the problem.

3. Sunflower1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did use Disk Util to format the new drive first.
    I connected the HD via usb to my new mac then went into recovery mode and installed the OS onto the HD that way. When I put the HD in the old computer it wouldn't read it.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you put the drive back in the external enclosure, then option key boot to it.... does that work? If it does, that points to a bad internal cable. Fairly common on these older machines.

5. Sunflower1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see finally. I'll try that. Thx

6. Sunflower1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked, any advice on how to go about fixing the internal cable now?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh good... so that proves it is the cable. Nothing to be done to fix the cable... you just have to buy a new one. I usually get things like that from iFixit.

8. Sunflower1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright,
    Well thanks ^^