Need help restoring iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by M-5, Aug 17, 2009.

1. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

So my mom just bought an iMac from her friend's mother, and I'm trying to restore it to factory settings using the Installation disks that came with my MacBook Pro. I just inserted the discs and clicked "Install Mac OS X" and then it gives me a "Restart" button, but I cannot restart it without putting in the Password which I do not have.

Is there another way to do this?

2. M-5 thread starter macrumors 65816

M-5

So I reset the password by restarting the computer and leaving "c" pressed while it booted up. But now when I clicked the "Restart" button after inserting in the disc to restore it says "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" after it resets. Is it because it's not the CD that came with this computer?

3. drir1990 macrumors member

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

How old's the iMac? Your mom might be better off -- as painful as it may be -- for her to use OS 9.

mt

5. M-5 thread starter macrumors 65816

M-5

Well I believe the Mac is about 2 years old. But it's in really good condition. It was really dirty, but I managed to clean it all up.

Aluminum 20" iMac
    2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1 GB Memory 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Build 9A3129
    226.88 GB Hard Drive Capacity

Yes it's a little bit old, but she bought it for $500, and didn't really want to shell out the money for a brand new one. She only uses the computer for the occasional internet and spreadsheets, so it should do her great.

I contacted the previous owner for the installation disks, but I doubt they still have them.