Need help restoring Mac OS X, cd wont boot, tried everything!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by resqguy77, Oct 13, 2008.

1. resqguy77 macrumors newbie

I have a PowerMac G5 running OS X 10.3.9 and I am selling it. I am trying to use the cd's that came with it to restore the system to original factory. When I double click the Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software it says to click restart, I do, the computer then restarts normally and does nothing.

I have tried restarting holding down the c key, the option key, nothing works.

Help.

2. italidesign macrumors newbie

italidesign

Try using Target disk mode. Holding the "T" key ater you hear the chime. Your laptop will need to be plugged into another Mac and it the drives will show up on the other mac. Provied the other mac is PPC you can than run an install and proceed to put the OS on the funked up machine. It wont work if you have an Intel mac and you target disk this ppc mac to the intel mac and try installing the ppc os from the intel mac.

P.S. you'll need to have the macs tethered with a firewire 400 cable to use target disk mode.

3. resqguy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont have two macs, just the g5. the mac is runnig fine, i just dont want all my info on iy when i sell it. thats why i was trying to use the restore discs.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Check the jumpers on the DVD if it is 3rd party ...

Otherwise put the Restore DVD in and use Startup Disc to see if you can change the Startup drive to the DVD.

Can't remember if it worked on OF machines.

5. resqguy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

its the original superdrive. not 3rd party.

i have the original dvd's that came with it from apple. i am not sure what 'startup disc' is???

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I believe Sun Baked was referring to the 1st System Restore disk that you have been working with.

I agree with his take- if that disk is mounted on the desktop, does it show up as a selectable item in the Startup Disk pane of your System Preferences? If so, try selecting it there and clicking the restart button. That would be a good next step to try to troubleshoot this unusual problem.

7. resqguy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand now. Yes it shows up and I have tried that, but no luck. I think the disk is good, I think there is some issue with making the computer boot to it. I can use the installer for just the bundled apps just fine. For some reason the OS X installer doesnt work.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

System Preferences > System > Startup Disk

Sometimes Open Firmware can be a pain, selecting startup disk again can sometimes help, though if there is a problem with the drive ... it will block all attempts to get around it with key modifiers.

I think the System Restore DVD can be a valid startup disk selection, can't remember.

If all other attempts fail on a PPC pulling the drive, selecting another startup disk, and reinstalling the problem drive. With a tower and multiple internal drives this is easier.

---

PPCs bootstraps the startup and looks for a file on the selected startup drive. Since this happens before the boot sequence looks at the keyboard for modifiers, this can create all sorts of issues as long as the PPC machine has access to the selected startup drive.

Basically if the only way to turn on the lights in the room is to touch someone who will punch you in the face every time you touch him, removing him from the room is the only way around to turn on the lights without a bloody nose.

9. resqguy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I kinda get what you are saying at the end, but the how to fix it was a bit over my head. Can you explain the process in laymans terms. Thanks.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Select another startup drive...

Click on the desktop, when it switches to Finder, go to Help and type in Startup Disk -- then click on "Changing Startup Disk" for directions.

If you are using a wireless keyboard or a non-Apple keyboard, this will also sometime cause problems. And unplugging all USB/FW devices might also help.

---

Note: You have a tower, you are having trouble booting an alternate startup volume -- on a PPC tower, the quickest way around any borked startup drive issue is to yank the current startup volume and see if the problem goes away.

If it does, try selecting the DVD as the startup drive and put the HD back in -- if it still won't boot off the optical, then looking at the optical drive might be in order.

---

Hint: It also has to be the System Restore Disc that came with the PowerMac G5, an older DVD or a DVD from another computer will not work.

11. resqguy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that, but it still boots up normally. I have tried holding down option key during startup, which according to the directions in help, should let me choose a drive, but it never happens. Just boots up normally.

I am using the wired keyboard that came with it. It works fine for everything once its booted up. I dont have anything plugged into the tower except keyboard and monitor.

So you are saying unplug the hard drive, boot the system to see if it boots off the DVD, then if it does, plug the hard drive back in and run the restore?

The restore DVD's are the ones that came with the mac.

I appreciate your help so far. Thanks.

12. resqguy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok...so I think I screwed up. Thinking is may have had to do with Open Firmware Protection (Apple website says all startup key funtions are disabled which appeared to be part of the problem) I downloaded the Firmware Utility and set a password (which I know). I figured if I could turn it on I could turn it off. Then I restarted it and now it goes to a grey screen with a folder icon. I cant do anything and the fans just kick into overdrive. Help.

13. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

you could try going into disk utility - making a small parition and cclone your install cd onto that and trying reinstalling from there? or try leopard