Need help restoring Mail messages...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by absurdio, Aug 6, 2008.

1. absurdio macrumors 6502

In brief: I recently did a reinstall of leopard.
    I'd like to restore the emails I had in Mail.

I have Time Machine backups, though I can't use them IN Time Machine (that is, since I've reinstalled the OS, I can browse through the backup files, but not look at them in TM).

A google search turns up this (sortof out of date) advice on Apple's site: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301239

I followed that advice (I replaced the new home/library/mail folder with the old one), but only the messages from one of my four accounts were restored. I suspect the difference has to do with the fact that the one account is IMAP, while the others are POP, though I lack the expertise to say that with any authority.

The really annoying part is that ALL of the messages ARE still backed up, I just can't make them show up in Mail. Inside the backed-up home/library/mail folder, there are folders for each of the four accounts I have. In each of those is an INBOX.mbox folder. In those, there is an Info.plist file and a Messages folder, in which are all of my messages (in .emlx format).

I tried copying those .emlx files to the equivalent place in the new home/library/mail folder, and, although they copied fine, they do not appear in Mail, even after I've quit and restarted it.
    I tried quitting Mail, deleting the Info.plist file, and restarting Mail. Still no good. I'm running out of guesses.
    Somebody has got to know how to do this...
    (i just want my mail back!)

Thanks!

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you've copied all the stuff into the right place and the messages do not show, try selecting one of the folders and then from the "Mailbox" menu select "Rebuild" - that should re-index the messages and make them show for you....oh yeah!

3. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffman, that was exactly the right answer. That was magnificent, and it worked perfectly. Infinite thanks! (also, I wonder if Duffman and Slurms McKenzie [the original party worm] have secret outrageous parties).
    Cheers!