Need Help Restoring to Factory Default

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Christopher387A, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I'm trying to restore my Macbook to factory defaults and I can't get the disk to boot and am having trouble. Whenever I load the disk in and restart holding c, the disk spins and then spits out and the computer boots to Mac OS X (Leopard). I've reset the nvram, the pram, repaired permissions with no success. I used to have Bootcamp installed, but I read that may cause problems so I uninstalled it and it still won't work. These are the disks that came with the computer when I bought it new a few months ago so I know they work. Any suggestions?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What happens if you just insert the disc? Does it mount onto the Desktop or does it kick out the disc when booted up to the OS? If yes you may have a busted optical drive. If it doesn't kick it out, just start the installation from the Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software shortcut, enter in the computer password when prompted, and then restart the computer, no keyboard shortcuts necessary. Another thought too: does the same thing happen if you hold down on the option key on the keyboard? Do you see a padlock icon that may indicate you have a firmware password set? You can clear a firmware password by changing the amount of RAM in the system (remove 1 stick), and then resetting the PRAM. After the firmware password has been cleared you can put the RAM back in the MacBook.

3. Christopher387A thread starter Guest

When I put the disk in it doesn't mount, it just spins and then spits the disk back out. I've tried booting with option, c, and the shift+command+option+delete (I think?) sequence and none of them work and the disk just spits out. If I use another disk, it mounts to the desktop and shows up, so the drive is working. There is no padlock or anything that shows up, so I think my disks may be bad (even though they're brand new).