NEED HELP!!! retrieving data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gatepc, Jun 30, 2009.

1. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

so heres some info on me real quick : I am paranoid about losing data so I have lots of backups on my computer end but today my CF card from my digital camera seems to be failing or have failed ( before I even got a chance to import it into my computer!) I have about 800 shoots taken in Raw format from a vacation that i must retrieve! when I stick the card into the camera the camera can read the card and I can view all the pictures etc just like normal but when I insert it into my computer it shows up as only a 7.5gb drive ( its a 16gb CF card ) and I can access the root directory but if I try to go to any sub dir finder just freezes up and then I have to force restart the computer, I tried on other computers ( win and mac as well as a ps3 ) it wont let me view the files on anything but the camera! Please help I need to retrieve these files!!!
    I also tried running a thorough scan with data rescue 2 and it didn't help :(
    I have also tried running disk repair but it just fails :(

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have you tried connecting the camera to the computer via the USB cable?

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Have you tried reading the card when its still in the camera, via a cable connected between Mac and camera? I had a similar problem and was able to access the pictures that way even though the card seemed to be corrupt when read directly.
    Usually there is either specific software provided by the camera manufacturer to let you do this or it can be done natively, just importing via iPhoto for example.

4. gatepc thread starter macrumors 6502

gatepc

Yes I have tried this already and the same thing still happans