NEED HELP retrieving hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rjones2, Jul 21, 2008.

1. rjones2 macrumors newbie

I have the standard 13" white macbook that i bought in 2007. recently it started freezing up (suddenly after my father used it... go figure) and the cursor would not move. I talked to applecare and they said i should try using the start up disks that came with the macbook. well i tried that the next day and my whole notebook is back to the day i opened it. I need help retrieving all my files, docs, and apps from before i completely erased everything. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

If you have another Mac then start up the one you want to get the data off in Target mode - simply hold down T during startup. Connect the two Macs via FireWire - Then transfer your entire HD to the other Mac

3. rjones2 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have no other macs that i could possibly use

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Do you have an external HD or even an iPod that you could use as an external HD?

If all else fails you could try burning data to DVDs

5. rjones2 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats the problem... i dont know how to find the data i lost after i reinstalled mac os x tiger. my macbook doesnt have any of my data on it except for what originally came with it.

6. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I misread your first post...I didn't realize that you had already used the discs that came with your computer...If your computer is just like the day you bought it then your data is gone...

I thought you were just having troubles and hadn't yet re-installed OS X

7. rjones2 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry to hear about your data being lost, but now you understand the value of having a back up system. Unfortunately, just like the majority of us, you too have learned this lesson the HARD way.

Owning a copy of DiskWarrior (!!!) and TechTool Pro is highly recommended as well.