Need help running this .sh script?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by uly609, Feb 28, 2013.

1. uly609 macrumors newbie

Im trying to run a script that is supposed to:

-This script uses the softwareupdate program on OSX to automatically check for updates and install them. It also logs all updates to the /Library/Management/update.log file.

-It first checks to see if there are any users logged in, and if so, logs the user in the log file and ends.

-If there is no user logged in, it updates the computer, logs the information, and reboots.

Here is the script:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    users=$(users)
    users1=$(echo "${#users}")
    if [ $users1 -lt 1 ]
    then
    date >> /Library/Management/update.log && /usr/sbin/softwareupdate -aiv >> /Library/Management/update.log && /sbin/reboot
    else
    date >> /Library/Management/update.log && echo "Logged in users: " >> /Library/Management/update.log && echo $(users) >> /Library/Management/update.log
    fi

I have tried it on 4 iMacs running 10.6.8 and 10.7.4 and I keep getting this error:

Code:
    update.sh: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'

update.sh: line 9: `fi'

Any ideas??

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Works fine here. Have you checked for any non-unicode characters/spaces in the lines?

Although from a dev point of view - that's very bad practice. What happens if someone logs in between softwareupdate and reboot?

3. uly609 thread starter macrumors newbie

I not much of a programmer/scripter could you elaborate a little more?

4. uly609 thread starter macrumors newbie

What version of OS X are you on? I re wrote it from scratch and now it says it cant find the directory. Im on 10.7.4. Would you happen to know where the update logs are kept on 10.7.4?