Need Help Searching my Mac for a serial number

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drgrafix, Feb 6, 2009.

1. drgrafix macrumors regular

I recently bought Rapidweaver and received the package today. I installed it, entered all the pertinent information including my email and the serial number, registered, and then went upstairs for lunch. Came back down and found that my cute little golden retriever had decided that the envelope, not the box, and not the little booklet… was tasty, so she ate it. I’m left with some cellophane and tiny wet pieces of white paper and no serial number! The software was installed and it is working just fine, and when I “unlocked” or activated it, it said OK, everything is done. Fortunately, the CD was in the Mac while Daisy had some fun.

I don’t need to reinstall… but unlike other software (or on a PC in the registry) where you can look in the “about” section and see your serial number, the SN is not shown in the about window. I’m not about to phone the UK over this, but just for security’s sake, I’d like to know how to retrieve the serial number on my mac so I can write it down inside the booklet and put it up high. Bad Daisy!

This is almost too funny, but it’s true.

Attached Files:

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you email the devleoper then can help you retrieve your serial number from certain files from your preferences or library.

That number is probably encoded and the developer can reverse it more easily than you can.

3. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, someone over iun the UK on the Rapidweaver forum (after a lot of laughs) led me to a free utility program called "PrefSetter" which allows you to peek into your secret files and look up the information. Kind of like using windows registry tools. So I was able to retrieve it and I then used my Dymo to make a tape and affixed it to a jewel case and inside the user manual as well.