Need help setting Airport Base Station into "Bridge" mode...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Molson1020, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Molson1020 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know anywhere online that has step by step instructions (or could provide some) on how to set up my ABS to go into bridge mode. The wireless modem/router I use is in the other room, and I would like to connect my Xbox 360 online, and figured I would just bridge the ABS and connect it to that.

I am having lots of problems doing this, and it's hard to find online how to exactly do it. Anyone care to help out? :)

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Airport Utility > Manual Setup > Internet > Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you want to connect your xbox to the express via ethernet and have the xbox be able to get online using the expresses wireless, you don't want bridge mode.

so
    router ~~wireless~~ express --wired-- xbox

you need to configure your express to "join a wireless network" and "allow ethernet clients" then select your network, and enter your password.

4. Molson1020 thread starter macrumors regular

I did what poster 1 said but I still get a flashing light. And when I click "extend wireless network" it says it cannot do it.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

plug an ethernet cable from the express to your computer untill you get it set up correctly, that way it can also tell you why it's flashing amber

extened won't work unless you have an apple base station that you are extending. it can be done with certain routers, but requires some work to make it happen

6. Molson1020 thread starter macrumors regular

7. jbrettz macrumors member

Go to this site and buy the ebook on wireless networking. I have 2 base stations and and AP express all extended throughout my house. I could not get it to work until I read Glenn's book on how to do it.

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/airport-n

Brett