Need Help Setting Firmware Password on Late 2008 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GajieP, Dec 4, 2008.

1. GajieP macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2008
    Hi guys, I am a recent Mac newbie and I would really appreciate someone's assistance in setting up the EFI firmware password on my late 2008 stock MacBook Pro. I have read the article listed on Apple's support site, but when I put in the OSX dvd that came with my Mac, it only shows install OSX and other unrelated folders, and does not show a utilities folder where the set up should take place. Would anyone please be kind enough to walk me through the process step by step, as it appears that I am obviously missing something. It would be much appreciated.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    You need to boot from the Leopard DVD, not just open it when you're already booted in to Leopard as normal.

Insert the DVD, boot up holding down the C key, then follow the instructions you have already found.
  3. GajieP thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2008
    Ok I see. Thank you very much for your assistance. I will try it later when I get home from work.
  4. abijnk macrumors 68040

Oct 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    For future reference for anyone trying to do this, you can do it without rebooting into the install disc. To do this, insert the install disc and open up a terminal. Run the following commands:

cd /Volumes/Mac*/Applications/Utilities
    open Firmware*

That will launch the firmware password app from the install disc. Go through the steps and then restart you computer.

This applies to any Leopard in general.