Need Help Setting up Airport Express w/ Airport Extreme with cable box

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by howiegroove, Jun 26, 2009.

1. howiegroove macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. This has been a pain in my a** and I have had the hardest time figuring it out, so someone please help me.

I have a macbook in my studio with an external monitor. That same room houses my Airport Extreme with remote printing set up. I just purchased an Airport Express for my living room for a couple reasons. First off, I can plug in my external hard drive in the USB slot so that I can stream my iTunes to my stereo as well as play movies on my laptop wirelessly. So that would explain that the audio jack is going to be in use as well since it is hooking into my stereo.

Here is the biggest problem (not mentioning that the only thing that I have hooked up currently is the Extreme). I have a cable box that needs access to the internet. I can (and have) ran a super long ethernet cable 50 feet away into the room with the Extreme and plugged it in, but it looks ugly and is a pain. I bought an Airport Express so that I can plug in the ethernet cable into the Express and it can wirelessly access the internet and the Extreme.

Can someone explain how to do this? I technically dont even know how to set up the Express so that it communicates with the Extreme let alone do what I need it to do. Thank you very much.

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

3. howiegroove thread starter macrumors newbie

That still really doesnt help. There is no way at all to hook up an external pull music off of? It doesn't say in the manual(which I did read) that it can't do that, it just says how to do it with a printer. This also doesnt help out with my specific problem of the cable box.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you need to set up the express to join the network created by the extreme.
    also make sure the check box about share over ethernet or something is checked, you can then plug the cable box to the express with an ethernet.

also as previous poster said, you need to connect the drive to the extreme, the express doesn't have that feature.
    once the drive is shared from the extreme, you just need to point iTunes to that location.

to play music from the express, you need to run itunes on the computer, there will be a drop down on the bottom of the window. the express should show up there.

5. howiegroove thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give it a try and let you know my results.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

This link glosses over some of the basics for AirTunes but is definitely handy for first time setups.