Need help setting up Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jbnb, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jbnb macrumors newbie

Hi- New to the forum. Hope someone can help.

I have an Apple iMac G5 running OS 10.4.11, equipped with an Airport Extreme card. We have had an Apple Express for a couple years connected to our stereo, and it has worked sporadically, able to transmit music from iTunes, but always blinking amber. It stopped transmitting altogether about 8 months ago.

We recently moved, and I would like to figure this thing out. I have gone through the set up assistant several times, with little luck. Additionally, most often (but not always), the Airport express does not show up in the configure window of Airport Utility. Once, I was able to get the remote speakers to show up in iTunes as a selection, but it could not connect. Soon afterward, that option disappeared.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

My first one died after a year - just as you described.

There's a strong possibility that this is permanently dead - it's not just a configuration problem.

3. jbnb thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure that is it, tho it could be. This Airport Express NEVER gave me a solid green light- always blinked amber. Perhaps it was no good from the start?

But it did transmit music for awhile, despite the blinking amber.

I feel perhaps the root is in the wireless network we have established with the Airport Extreme card. We have had several devices in the house that can see the network, but cannot join it. It is not password protected.

4. jbnb thread starter macrumors newbie

For what is worth, I went through the set up assistant once again, after turning on AppleTalk. Upon opening iTunes, the Airport Express was given as a choice. However, it would not connect, giving me instead Unknown Error (-3256).