Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Im trying to set it up, it's the latest model on the Apple website.

Do I need a modem?

Can I not use it as a standalone router by connecting the dsl cable from the filter (which is connected directly from the phone line) to the airport extreme?

This is how i have my existing router setup, which is a draytek vigor 2820n

Any idea how to get the best out of my airport extreme?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Your current "router" is probably a modem/router combo, meaning it has the modem built in. Apple's AirPort Base Stations (all models) are strictly routers and require a modem upstream.

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Thanks, can anyone suggest a good idea on maximising the use out of my airport with this draytek, as Im unsure.

Do you suggest purchasing a standalone modem?

BubbaJones

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
East Coast
Check the documentation that came with your modem/router and see if you can put it into a "modem only mode".

Or you can bridge the two routers, but that is probably overkill (and too complicated).

If you got the modem from your ISP, see if you can exchange it for a modem only unit.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
What I would suggest is to disable DHCP on the modem/router if that is at all possible. You could in turn disable DHCP on the Extreme, but I believe that will also disable the guest network feature (and not entirely sure if the simultaneous dual band option will be disabled as well). If you find it too difficult to disable DHCP on the Draytek, I'd suggest getting in touch with your ISP and asking if they can provide you with a modem without routing capabilities.

Edit: I'm apparently too slow, sorry for repeating your post BubbaJones :p

iWoz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
East Midlands, U.K
Check the documentation that came with your modem/router and see if you can put it into a "modem only mode".

Or you can bridge the two routers, but that is probably overkill (and too complicated).

If you got the modem from your ISP, see if you can exchange it for a modem only unit.

I've got the airport extreme setup by choosing " join a wireless network", and it's joined my existing wireless router as a setup, if that makes sense.

Will I get a better performance by doing as suggested?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.