Need Help Setting Up College Email (on Gmail)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Beantown, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Beantown macrumors member

Hey guys, I can't figure out how to setup my email for college. It's run out of gmail but the address is (myname)@husky.neu.edu. How do I set that up on my iPhone 4? I don't know whether to do Gmail or Other, and what the servers are. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Your college IT department should provide you with all of the information that you need to set up your account to access from off campus. They can tell you the server names, and port changes and if they support SSL for the SMTP server. Many of the POP accounts that are used at colleges and universities do not support using their outgoing SMTP server from off campus, so you may have to use something else.

Check with them, or even look on the college website, instructions should be posted there.

3. Beantown thread starter macrumors member

4. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

5. teezee09 macrumors member

My school switched to a gmail-based email system my senior year, and I was one of the heads of the student-led IT department so I ended up answering a lot of these kinds of questions lol. At my school, students had to set up an external client password separate from their main email password, since everything is actually stored on one of gmail's servers. Looks like your instructions are similar and located: here.