Need help setting up iphone with iMac Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Featherstone, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Featherstone macrumors newbie

I understand that I can link my iphone with my iMac Intel Core Duo Wi-Fi (via Airport?) so that I can get faster iphone speeds at home. A client of mine tried to explain how I could do this, but when I tried to set it up at home, I just got lost and couldn't get it to work.

I need someone with patience to explain step-by-step just how to do this. I am too new to Mac to understand the function of the various settings on Airport and my iphone 3G, so that I can do this on my own. I spent a whole evening struggling with this, looking through the iphone User's Guide and trying things. I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. What I was able to find didn't seem to give me enough info to set everything up. Then I started thinking that maybe what I was trying to do wasn't even possible using only the iMac. Whoever takes this on, my thanks to you in advance!

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

You need to turn on Internet Sharing and share your Ethernet connection (wired) through Airport (wireless).

On your iMac go to System Preferences > Sharing and do Part 2 from this guide:

http://www.myds.com.au/GuideDetail.aspx?id=45

Once this is done you are now sharing your wired internet access through a wireless network.

-----

Now you need to set up your iPhone to connect to your wireless network.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Turn Wi-Fi on

Under Choose a Network, the name of your wireless network should appear, click the blue arrow icon on the far right of the name of your wireless network, and enter the WEP password you entered on your iMac.

Once this is done your iPhone should be connected wirelessly.

3. Featherstone thread starter macrumors newbie

So far so good

Thank you so much for helping me get my "Internet Sharing" thing done!!! That is working OK, and my iPhone 'sees' my computer now, but Safari doesn't budge when I try to go to a web page.

4. sher64 macrumors newbie

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

This was great help. woops. maybe not. it looks like i have wifi and then BOOM it switches to 3G to get anywhere.

I feel trying to add a Lynksys router and then removing it F--ed my whole home WiFi. I used to be fine but wanted to take advantage of my TVs very limited internet capable stuff, only to find them to be crap and now WiFi is useless with my iMac. SICKENING!!

anytime i turn my imac off/on i have issues for days trying to use my own internet and am constantly ripping off my neighbor's