Need help setting up keyboard

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by GoKyu, Jan 29, 2008.

1. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Hey all, I'm brand new to the Mac platform, and in addition, this is my first MIDI keyboard.

I purchased the M-Audio Keystation 49e. It comes only with a USB cable which not only provides power (no external plug needed) but also acts as the MIDI interface cable as well. It's class compliant, so it doesn't need any drivers.

So I loaded up GarageBand (having unexplained lag with this program as well...please see this thread) and I can see the notes when I play, but I can't hear anything.

It looks to be set for output to my USB Bose speakers, but I'm getting nothing. Is there a specific setting I need to mess with in the MIDI Audio (Apps -> Utilities)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! (With this or with the Garageband problem)

-Bryan

2. Macchino macrumors regular

Have you chosen a plugin. I don't use garage band, but in pretty much all audio sequensers you must tell the MIDI keyboard what instrument it needs to play e.g. if you want it to play a violin you need to assign a violin plug to a channel. also, make shure that you have monitor enabled for the midi channel that you are using. this allows you to hear what you are playing on that exact track, and not all the midi tracks you have going. Sometimes if you have ten different midi instruments going at once you dont want to hear them all when you press a key on the keyboard. Therefore, monitor enabled on the channel/synth you are working on. Hopes this helps, but as I was saying, I dont use Garage-band.:)

3. GoKyu thread starter macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Thanks for the reply :) Thanks to Garageband being slow as hell when I go in to create a project, I don't use it either. I'm using Ableton Live Lite edition, version 6.

I'll have to check it out and see...and if you happen to use Live, maybe you can guide me on what to do :)

Thanks again,

-Bryan

4. Macchino macrumors regular

Well, I don't use Live either... I use Nuendo 3, and i'm in the proces of switching to Logig Studio. But I guess it's the same in all intefaces, so just do as I describes in my first post:) (look for a little symbol of a speaker on the channel - thats the monitor enable button) hope you figure it out, otherwise, feel free to ask. I'll help as good as I can:)