NEED HELP!!!! setting up mac mail with college email POP IMAP problems?!?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by swmoyer91, Feb 7, 2011.

1. swmoyer91, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

swmoyer91 macrumors newbie

i have trouble getting it to work with the IMAP or POP settings. im not sure what im doing wrong but i have to enter something for the incoming mail server and so on. i have looked up other guides but they all say the same thing but none help. i am using a @email.vccs.edu email address instead of a gmail like the majority of the guides. PLEASE HELP! any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advanced,
    stephen

*edit* i also have trouble with the outgoing mail server as well.......i just dont know what to put in for those because i have no idea what that outgoing/incoming mail servers are!

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you ask your college's network administration about the proper settings or have they even published a guide on how to do this?
    My university did that and it worked okay, apart from the email servers crashing every now and then.

What about this?

3. swmoyer91 thread starter macrumors newbie

i go to a community college so its not a real college so its kind of dumb :eek:

4. simsaladimbamba

I updated my post with an Outlook POP3 guide.
    Even if it is a community college, they probably have a network administration, don't they?
    And what about asking other students, for which the email does work?

Otherwise we can only guess, as you haven't provided any data of what actual data you have input in your settings.

5. swmoyer91 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats the problem i dont know what to enter for the data because everything i enter doesnt work. i add an account and enter all my info then it goes to the next step which is incoming mail server. i enabled the IMAP settings on my email so i set up the mac mail using that for the description i enter College for the incoming mail server i have entered mail.gmail.com (which appears in my url when im logged in on my email) along with email.vccs.edu which is part of my college email address. when i enter mail.gmail.com with all my account info a little ! in a yellow triangle pops up with the following message "the IMAP server 'mail.gmail.com' is not responding. Try checking the network connection(connection is fine clearly) and the server name is correct. otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. (it isnt since im still logged in on another tab) if you continue, you might be able to receive messages. (which i cant)" this is what im dealing with. i get a similar message on the next step as well but i wanna figure this step out first so PLEASE HELP!!!! i have been trying to figure this out for almost 12 hours!!! im about to shoot my mac :p

6. simsaladimbamba

Please use a break or press the ENTER key every once in a while, that block of text is hard to read. And some proper punctuation doesn't hurt too.
    Anyway, why would you use the Gmail address for that VCC account? They are both not the same and have nothing to do with each other.
    That is why you get these errors.

You have to find the proper IMAP or POP3 address for the VCC mail.
    I assume the college offers you accessing your mail via a www browser? Doesn't have that interface some kind of help?
    Is there some kind of intranet at that college, where guides and FAQs are stored?

And what about asking other students?

In short:
    1. mail.gmail.com - wrong server, for the VCC and for Gmail (they use "imap.gmail.com" and "smtp.gmail.com")
    2. find an online resource, if it exists, about how to properly setup a VCC email account in a mail client
    3. if 2. does not work, contact a student or the administration, maybe a teacher or secretary
    4. I don't know the proper mail server addresses for your VCC, but maybe you can try variations of
    "imap.email.vccs.edu" or "pop3.email.vccs.edu" or even "smtp.email.vccs.edu".