need help setting up mail with gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KilGil27, Jun 24, 2008.

1. KilGil27 macrumors regular

KilGil27

so, I've been trying to set up Mail to work with my gmail account for the past two weeks, and it's been kicking my ass. I want it to work the same way it does with my iphone, so that if I open an email in either mail, from gmail's web-based account, or my iphone, it gets marked as read in both of them, and if I delete something, etc, it does the same for all three. I can't seem to figure out the settings for mail, even though it was extremely easy to set up with my iphone. Any suggestions as to what the settings are that I'm missing?

2. KilGil27 thread starter macrumors regular

KilGil27

yes, and it won't get any new mail. If I try to send an email to myself, it shows up as a new sent mail in Mail, but won't show up as a new received mail

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

Take a screen shot of your mail settings page.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i understand gmail isn't very compatible with mail.app of OSX. Not sure if this is the case tho.

5. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I have no problems with IMAP gmail across multiple machines and an iphone. Souble check your settings and where it says username I think you just have to use your username without the @gmail.com. As another member suggested use google's step by step instructions and pay close attention to the incoming mail server settings.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

I use my gmail account via apple mail, my iPhone and the web interface.

Sometimes I have issues with read messages not showing that way, but that's it. I have multiple addresses coming into it and my spam has been reduced considerably.

If it doesn't work, you're doing something wrong. I use IMAP.