Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I want to set up my old iPhone 5 for my kids to use on WiFi at their's Mom's house. I don't want anyone to be able to see what I have on the phone (pictures, emails ect...) so I'm thinking that I should erase the phone and start from scratch. I started to do this and saw a message that said the phone would be removed from my iTunes account.

When I bought my iPhone 6 I set it up from the stored backup that I did before I went to the store. I presume that update will be erased? I should probably back-up the iPhone 6 to insure that everything on there is saved incase I ever need it. Actually, it backs up to the Cloud but I want to keep a copy in iTunes on my computer.

I'm just starting to look into family sharing now. Don't know if I'll be able to use that to set the phone up with apps that they usually use (mostly kids games) or if I will have to download them. I presume I will also be setting up a separate iTunes account too.

I'm doing this so we can talk on FaceTime, they can play games and use Netflix when they aren't with me.

Thanks!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes, when you erase your phone, it'll be removed from your iTunes account, but you can add it back when you set it up again.

I'd make a separate icloud account for your kids, so they can FaceTime and iMessage with you. You can log into your iTunes account to redownload their apps (logging in to the iTunes Store is independent of logging into iCloud). Not sure about Family sharing as I haven't used it myself.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have seen on the family account settings I saw "create an Apple ID for a child" so you can probably make a kids Apple ID from that and this way they can't buy any apps without you knowing about it. Also, being on the family sharing you can use find my iPhone on that phone still in case something happens.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Thanks for the info! I ended up restoring the phone to factory settings then creating an iCloud account for my kids. I signed into my iTunes to download apps that they are going to use and it was good to go.

I was a little concerned because my phone number showed up under General > Settings > Phone and it was in the option list for FaceTime but couldn't be clicked on. I wanted to make sure none of my info could be seen (like turing on iMessage). I guess the number is still attached to the phone but nothing can be done with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.