Need help setting up the Mail App.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CSilver, Feb 12, 2009.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

Hi, I have been trying to set up the Mail app in osx for some convenience. We have 2 PCs and A Macbook(mine) at home. 2 PCs are used by my parents and siblings and we use Shaw internet. My mom has set up the Outlook on both PCs with her Shaw email account.

First I thought the app would just hook up with my Hotmail account and just download mails if sent to me. But I realized or I think I know that Mail app is like Outlook if not.

My question is, is it possible for me to set up my account in Mail even though the incoming server? is being used?(I am not quite sure how outlook and mail work....)

Furthermore, when using router is it possible to still set up your own Mail?
    I will be heading off to college soon and was wondering whether the app Mail will work within Campus internet services.

Thanks very much for your time to answer me ;)
    -Chris-

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

First off, Mail and Outlook are very similar. It works (basically) the same way, and would need information like the incoming and outgoing mail servers. So there's not many differences there.

The only problem with what you mentioned is that you're using Hotmail. And if I remember correctly, Hotmail (owned by Microsoft), requires its users to pay if they want to have their mail downloaded to their computer. It's pretty ridiculous. I'd recommend consider switching email services -- Google's Gmail is a *great* choice.

When heading off to college, your Mail app should still work without a problem. You can even have it set up to check multiple accounts, for example, a personal email and your college email.

3. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Also, for what it's worth, you should be able to forward your hotmail e-mail to a Gmail account, to help ease the transition. I heard Hotmail may allow downloading in the future, but I wouldn't wait around.

4. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for the replies :)
    Umm I do own an account at gmail.com so I guess I could try with that one...(all of my bank/university/cellphone etc are connected to my hotmail...) hopefully I won't have much trouble changing all the contact info.

Lol... I guess it was the hotmail that was causing trouble... I just typed gmail in the Mail app and it automatically created it... I can't believe I was trying to find out what to put on the server type and stuff for hotmail lol

p.s. is there a way to send hotmail incoming mails to gmail?? cause hotmail was my primary...

Thanks-Chris-

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

If you log into your Hotmail account and look in your settings, there should be an option somewhere to enable forwarding.

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Also, this thread just got posted, claiming compatibility between Mail.app and Hotmail. I don't have an account so I haven't tested it myself, though.

EDIT: Doesn't look like it works.

7. nadyne macrumors 6502a

In the UK, US, and several other countries, Hotmail provides POP3 access for free. For details about what setting you need to use, go here.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Ah, thanks for the official heads up, Nadyne. :)

9. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh that is awesome!!! I am checking it out right now!!

Dang... But I will give it a try also just to confirm it.

Thanks;)

Thank you all once again for the help! I am on it right now to try it !

Edit: It keeps saying it can't log in to pop3.live.com ... dang.. wtf

10. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope it doesn't work... here is the answer from the website...
    "You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again."

stupid hotmail...