Need help setting up Windows on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by EnJoItHaReX, Jul 9, 2011.

1. EnJoItHaReX, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

EnJoItHaReX macrumors newbie

Hey, decided to join here becuase it seems like alot of people know what theyre talking about so...here we go. I have also search, ive spent countless hours and attempts tying to set this thing up to no avail :(. Also, bear with me, i just started getting into computers and this is my first mac.

To start off i have snow leopard (10.6.8) and i am trying to install windows 7. Now in the ISO i have downloaded i have setups for both the 64 bit and 32bit version. i know snow leopard can run on the 64 bit version and luckily, when i mount the flashdrive, that seems like the dominant version. I have also installed windows 7 but only through a VM. My goal is to run windows in a dual boot mode, i dont not want to use a VM. Also, the reason i am using a flashdrive is becuase i have no windows DVD..so heres what i have attemped.

Bootcamp:
    Ran boot camp (3.0?) and partitioned my HDD like instructed, files have already been backed up. Ive learn that bootcamp wont install from external HDD so that was the end of that

Bootcamp and VM (parallels):
    Ive read that you can run windows 7 and from a VM actually get what you need to install windows on the bootcamp partition...Need more info in this area

Creating bootable flash drive:
    First i tried using the SD on my phone. Mmounted the iso succesfully but i still cant it to show up in system perfernces>startup disk...or when i use the hold "option" during startup. I then swicthed over to an actual 8gb flashdrive but still...does not show up in "start up disk" or during the actual boot up..But both devices DO show up in disk utilities.

Create bootable flash drive pt2:http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/4-ways-to-create-bootable-live-usb.html
    This was through Mac terminal. 1st time was on phone SD, i waited like 2hrs to mount(?) iso image but i think i got some error msg, anyway the files were on there BUT still didnt work I follow instructions again for the flash drive and i get operation not supported.

Create bootable flashdrive pt 3:
    Windows 7 cmd prompt. After all this....lol...i dont remember but it didnt work

Disk utilies:
    Restoring the source, .iso image, does not work. Error message invalid source comes up or invalid argument.

Reformat: Ive tried reformatting the drive from MS-FAT to MAC extend journal while having the option as MBR or GUID. Still does not work

windowa USB/backup tool:http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/9136...with-boot-camp-without-an-external-dvd-drive/
    This helped me put the iso img on the flash drive. I ran this program through Parallels, and my instructions were to selec the USB after holding option, but as i have mentioned, USB device does not appear

rEFIT:
    Ive read that intel mac dont have the drivers for EFI prgrams or something, so this program would help make up for that. It does work well, as far booting the mac hdd but still doesnt boot up like i should...I know..the link is for a macbook air but i figred it would be close

So, your question right now is dude...how long have you been doin this...and what does work:

Ive spending countless hours and staying up late night researching and trial and errors, i can say all my hours totaled have been close to 24. Im kind of learning along the way...

Now what happens is,...while the drive is connected..Mac boots up, rEFIt takes over and give me 2 options. Run mac HD OR run windows from partition 1 BUT when i run windows it gives me some legacy error so i cannot so that. Windows 7 works in parallels fine. Windows recognizes the flash drive. Mac finder recognizes flashdrive. Disk utilities reads both devices phone SD/Flash drive. Disk Utilites Restore doesnt work

Now i think ive covered most of it...sry for such a long post. Once you come back to reality and your eyes and brain stop hurting i could defitinitly use your help. Please feel free to give me any input on 1 of my MANY method, on how to get it working.

2. simsaladimbamba, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Windows can't be installed from an external USB flash memory thumb drive or to an external HDD, easily, maybe not at all in some cases.

Since your Mac has probably a SuperDrive, you could get a DVD-R or DVD+R for 99 cents and burn the .iso to the DVD, properly. Not just the file, but the actual image inside.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. EnJoItHaReX thread starter macrumors newbie

EDIT: posted links

I also wanted to avoid using a DVD becuase i have another latop on which windows does not boot up at all. The Asus EPC or w/e theyre called do not come with internal optical. I do have external DVD drive BUT, i was hoping to just take the flashdrive form 1 system, erase and reformat, use the same .iso img, and repair or install the other.

Id have to wait a fews days before i can use the external drive

5. simsaladimbamba

But you have a Mac with a DVD writer (called SuperDrive), don't you?

How To Make Copies of DVDs

And I forgot:

6. EnJoItHaReX thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but again i have to wait to get my external drive, i am very impatient lol.

I know i could at least have windows running in dual boot mode on the Mac tonight if i use the DVD. But, also, after all those hours and methods tried. I should be extremely close with 1 of those ideas. I mean others tried it and it worked...well so they say...i dont understand how something like installing an OS with the img of the DVD burned, on a partitioned HDD from an external source could be a "hit or miss" type of thing. Although, I know some people said they have had problems with button maps and things.

Thanks for the help and quick responses. Hopefully maybe this thread will be a big help to other mac users. I mean ive tried everything.

7. EnJoItHaReX thread starter macrumors newbie

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So what approach worked for you?

B

9. EnJoItHaReX thread starter macrumors newbie

Sry i should have been more specific. I have 32bit installed in parallels. In my .iso img file i have a setup for the 64 bit though, so im a little confused on how to install the 64 bit version but at this point it doesnt matter

What im doing now is reading through the 1st link you gave me, Im going to try their methods, but ill be sure to post if it worked for me and now.

Hopefully i have mouse, trakpad, and keyboard funtionality

10. simsaladimbamba

What OS? Windows? And if so, how did it work?

Whopsydaisy, took too much time switching to HBO I guess. Might could do better next time.

11. EnJoItHaReX, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

EnJoItHaReX thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Dont know why a n00b like me is doing this anyway but....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414 <-- using those methoed

Infared method doesnt work for me because when i start up the iso img, after selecting language. I dont get "repair computer" link, under "what you need to know..." This is doesnt allow me to use the bootrec.exe method http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

What i want to do is try and install windows 7 through my Parallels but it doesnt find the Bootcamp partitioned disk :(..I would need the correct drivers right? Windows 7 drivers?

12. EnJoItHaReX thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea...so...Disk utlitlies> burn ISO img to BLANK DVD-R....

Run Bootcamp...

Your done lol, well ishould say follow instructions.

Bootable USbs are way to complicated

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I like your way of putting it the best. :p

B