Need Help Sharing Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by megcastle0626, Mar 9, 2008.

1. megcastle0626 macrumors newbie

I've searched this forum, but can't find anything that is helping my current problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have an iMac and a MacBook, both using Leopard, and both connected to an Airport Extreme. I would like to access the files on my iMac from my MacBook.

I have tried everything I have read in every forum I have found, but nothing seems to be working. Can anyone please give me step-by-step instructions? Also, will they be willing to answer a few questions when I inevitably run into trouble?

Thank you so much.

2. DAbrams macrumors newbie

Make sure they are both on the same network.

Then I believe you need to put whatever files you want to access in the Public folder.

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Depending on how you have your computers connected to each other and to the net, setting up file sharing can range from pretty simple to quite complex. If you just have your computers connected to each other by an ethernet cord then all you have to do is go to system preferences > Sharing then check on File Sharing. If your network situation is more complicated than that then you need to give us much more detail about how you're trying to set things up.

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Hah, where are you coming from, OS 9? :p It hasn't been like that for a long time.

5. DAbrams macrumors newbie

I just got my first Mac like three weeks ago. Whatever.

6. megcastle0626 thread starter macrumors newbie

I somehow managed to make this (maybe) work. I have no idea what I did! But my iMac is finally showing up in the sidebar of my MacBook. I suppose that is where my main problem was. I couldn't get it to show up in the Finder window.

I appreciate the help, though!!

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Where are YOU coming from?

That's what I've been doing for a long time now, and I have Leopard. Works perfectly once you enable Sys Pref -> Sharing -> File Sharing. Unless that's what you meant, but it is still the Public folder....

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

He said

Which is not correct, you can share any folder you like right from the file sharing system pref pane by just clicking the plus button. You're not at all just limited to sharing from the public folder.