Need help sharing my Windows DVD drive to Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fisk11, Jun 17, 2009.

1. fisk11 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody, my first post into this great place!

As I'm using pbg4, I'm not able to burn dvds. Therefore, I've decided to use my windows based dvd burner, which is on a separate PC. The os is windows 7; I've shared the dvd, as well as few partitions and folders and they show and work just fine under my mac os x 10.4.11, however, my mac doesn't see the dvd. I recently installed an update concerning dvd sharing, that basically added one additional service to my share preferences, but it didn't make any difference. Any ideas how to use my win dvd?

And I have another similar question: as I mentioned, I have few shared items located at the same pc windows machine; the thing is that when the powerbook comes back from sleep, everything is unmounted, and I have to manually authenticate and mount every single resource I require, which is killing.
    Thank you! :)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The fact that you are using a PowerBook G4 has nothing to do with your inability to burn DVDs. If this is the case, then it is because you don't have a SuperDrive or that your optical drive is defective.

3. fisk11 thread starter macrumors newbie

the fact is exactly what I said, namely my mac's optical drive does not offer dvd burning, only cd.. :rolleyes:

that is why I need my pc burner shared with my mac..

edit/

what I've done so far is: I followed a tutorial suggesting an installation of an app "DVD_or_CD_Sharing" both on the mac and its windows version on the win; then I executed:
    rebooted both machines - nothing changed. The dvd drive shows only its assigned name, like a regular shared resource, with no indication that is DVD drive and it is totally unaccessible.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Roll your eyes all you want. My point is that your reasoning is flawed. Many users burn DVDs on their PowerBook G4s.

5. fisk11 thread starter macrumors newbie

mister, many users do a lot of stuff - I have to agree here. The thing is, I have posted two comprehensible IMO and well specified questions, and your participation is utterly off topic. Say, I also have a usb burning device that I can use, or a bunch of other options, however, my questions concern nothing else but network sharing. Regardless of my mac machine or its configuration!

Cheers