Need help sharing printers between Win 7 & Snow Leopard..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Yamcha, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Hi Guys,

This is driving me nuts, what I want to do is share a printer on my network. It is hooked up to my dads PC with Windows 7, I want to be able to print on my Mac, I've looked at tutorials but I cant get it working.. when I attempt to print it says
    Printer I am using is a Brother MFC-465CN
    [​IMG]

My Dads IP is : 68.146.138.139
    Port: USB001
    Sharename: Home

Hope someone can help =/

Thanks for your time :]

2. Mini Cooper macrumors newbie

No help to you but I am having the same problem.
    Worked fine with Windows Vista on the same PC too.....

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I think you're going to have a tough time getting this to work bug-free. The best way to do this is to connect the printer up to your network directly. There's a couple ways to do this.
    1. Get a router that supports sharing printers via USB. Apple's support this, and I know there are a couple Cisco / D-Link / Netgear routers that support this as well.
    2. Get a printer with an ethernet port (maybe yours already has one?). This is how i'm currently running my setup. Very easy to do.
    3. Buy a print server (either wireless or ethernet) and hook it up to your router and then to your printer. This is pretty cheap and easy. There are ethernet print servers for like $35 here and wireless ones for under $50 here.

I do realize that every option I've listed will cost a BIT of money, but it's really not that much, and you're going to simplify your home network by going this route. You'll allow yourself to use Bonjour to easily configure any OS X machine, and it won't be difficult to type in the IP address of the printer and print that way with Windows. So i'm sorry I don't have an easy solution to your current issue, but hopefully these options helped out.

4. rtheb macrumors 6502

5. captnkirk macrumors newbie

How to connect Snow Leopard client to Win 7 Print Server

Enable Printer Sharing in the Win 7 Printer's Properties, and note how they change the name from "My Printer Name" to "My-Printer-Name". Use this string in the Mac settings for the printer name.

On the Snow Leopard clients, Click on the Add Printer button and then enable the Advanced setting in the Toolbar.

Choose the "Windows" option under Advanced and enter your print server address and printer name on the SMB line (eg. smb://10.1.2.3/My-Printer-Name ).

You don't need to enter your "Name:password@" in this line (doing so make your info visible to others).

When you first go to print to the Windows server, it will ask you to Authenticate as a registered User on the Print Server.

Note: you need to make an account for yourself there first, or use the Name and Password of an existing User on the Print Server.

Caveat : On my Win 7 server, in the Advanced Sharing Settings : HomeGroup Connections section, I am using "Use user accounts and passwords .." instead of "Allow Windows to manage ..." to control how my computers talk to each other.