Need help! - Should I buy this macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snowboarder943, Dec 28, 2008.

1. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,
    I need help if I should buy a white Macbook 2.0 Ghz 1 GB ram and an 80gb hard drive, superdrive with OS X 10.5.5 re-imaged so that when I get it, it'll be like brand new for $724.50??? :confused: I mean I think it seems like a good deal...unless I'm wrong. Haha The condition looks great!! Take a look. Anyway let me know what y'all think! Thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Well, for roughly $250 more you get:

2.1 GHz instead of 2.0 GHz
    120 GB hard drive instead of 80 GB
    SuperDrive (can burn CDs & DVDs) instead of ComboDrive (can burn only CDs)
    A full year of warranty
    A brand new MacBook instead of an used one

I'd buy a new one.

3. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

^^^agreed. i'm assuming your looking at this Macbook from like eBay or something along the lines of that.

the whole Warranty thing and 120GB hard drive would be enough for me, but i'm not the one buying it. good luck!

4. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah that is true but I was looking to only spend around the 700 area right now. besides the 2.1 Ghz macbook you think it's a good deal? The pictures look amazingly clean and in good condition. Like it is fast enough for normal usage conditions, ie internet, music, movie watching, very light video editing. Thank again!!! :D

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I have that one and it's great but I think you should get a newer one for just a little more because the one you have mentioned only can go to 2gb of Ram and the new ones can go to 4.
    Besides that everything else is good.
    Chris

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For that price it better be a C2D. Honestly, anything less I would not pay that price.

7. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for those quick responses!! I think I'm gonna stick to this one. haha :p The reason is I need just a normal not over-the-top computer for my schoolwork for my last 1.5 years at high school. Then when I graduate my grandma said she'll buy me a macbook pro or whatever apple will have by then for college!! It's grrrreaatt!! So just for now I think the 2.0 Ghz will be good. You enjoy yours?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is it a C2D? Because if not, it's my opinion that you're getting swindled.
    It's not my cash, but it would suck to be duped into thinking you're getting something you're not.

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i am not a Mac owner (unfortunate, i know) but see if you can compromise with the seller and drop the price a little bit?

EDIT: make sure a 80GB hard drive would fit all of your files, because that is a rather low number and you mentioned using music and movies on the Macbook, and those files take up quite a bit of space. and if 80GB wouldn't fit your needs, look into an external hard drive

10. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Eh then to each is own. $250 for something slightly more seems reasonable, but the buyer seems pretty good with this one.

Best of luck. :)

12. Shawn D macrumors regular

Not a bad deal. I am sure you will enjoy it quite a bit, I would upgrade the ram though when it arrives, That's just me though :D

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

you can probably get 1 off of Ebay for a cheaper price.

14. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

It's a great machine and worth the money. If you don't have to buy now, you would definitely do well to wait for some refurbs, but it really comes down to money and how you will use it. :D

15. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Wrong. This is a SR Macbook. My wife has one. It even came with the 80 Gig hard drive. We upgraded it to 4 Gigs, for about 50 bux, and then upgraded to a 320 gig hard drive for 75 bux. For 125 bux, Ive got near the same exact specs, that would cost you 250 dollars, and a smaller hard drive.

Id go with the older model, as the 100mhz your not going to notice. The main thing is if you need to burn dvds. If not then its a non issue, as I pointed out above, you can upgrade the ram and the hard drive cheaper then you would be paying for the new macbook.

My wifes macbook we just bought in February, which was brand new, and has a 1 year warranty. We will purchase applecare next month, so it will still be covered another 2 years. So check on that if your worried about warranties...

16. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I would wait and find a better deal and probably find a BlackBook.

Oh one more thing have you considered a PowerBook G4 it would work for your need, also you get more screen real estate, and a cheaper price.

17. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Wait, I have a super drive in mine, I never knew that. So the only difference is mines a merom and yours is a santa rosa.

chrisN

18. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah thanks for all that help! anyway i found a 2 month old emaculate condition 2.1ghz white macbook. Its the exact one on apple's store, but 220 dollars cheaper!! with all the original packaging and discs and some things not even opened like the remote!!

19. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

On Apple.com from time to time, $750 MacBooks appear in the refurb store.