Resolved Need help: SIM Failure on 2g, JB and unlocked

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eljay0, Dec 13, 2011.

1. eljay0, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

eljay0 macrumors newbie

I need help urgently.

I have restored my iPhone 2G using iTunes to 3.1.3.
    Then I used redsn0w 0.9.4 on Windows to jailbreak and unlock. Everything went fine, except when I insert SIM, I get "SIM Failure" message and 'Invalid SIM' in the top left corner. I do not have an AT&T SIM to put in it to activate it.

Please help! This is urgent as I wanted to sell the phone tonight, but now I cannot show that it works.

Thank you!

2. eljay0 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I don't get it.
    I put in Bell SIM card from my Blackberry and it gives me 'SIM failure' message.
    When I put in my Rogers SIM card, it works without a problem and I can make a phone call!!
    I also put in a European T-Mobile SIM card that I use there and that one works too and connects to Rogers network on roaming!!

The buyer of the phone tried to put in his Koodo SIM and it said 'No service'.

What the heck is going on?!

3. eljay0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mystery solved!

So, after some more googling, I discovered that the original iPhone 2G does not support HSPA. Since Bell uses HSPA and not a true GSM/EDGE like Rogers/Fido, naturally iPhone 2G will not work on HSPA network. :(

Bell, Telus, Koodo, Virgin all use HSPA. This means that an unlocked iPhone 2G will only work on Rogers/Fido in Canada. It will work with Bell SIM in Europe because Bell will be roaming on a true GSM network, which the 2G physically supports.

Hope this makes sense and helps others.

Cheers.