Need help speeding up my 12" G4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthew$, Feb 9, 2008.

1. matthew$ macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I have been looking to get a MBP, but wouldn't mind waiting a little bit longer (my wait really depends upon when Apple updates the MBP). I really just feel like my PowerBook is getting really slow and now the battery life is terrible (I would say less than an hour).

I did have Photo Shop on my computer, but dragged that thing into the garbage in hopes of making things better. I upgraded to Leopard, and I think that really was the downfall of my computer.

Is there anything that I can do in the meantime to speed up this old thing? Should I put Tiger back on here? If so, how do I do that? Is it possible to downgrade?

Thanks!

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/523.10.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Safari/523.10.6)

RAM will give your computer a much needed boost, if it isn't at the maximum already. You can also find a performance boost if your HDD isn't completely full, I think you need about 10% free space ideally ?

3. stevegmu macrumors regular

4. matthew$ thread starter macrumors newbie

Not looking to purchase any RAM. Right now I am only rockin' what the PB came with. How do I do the performance boost? I have 18GB of HD space left, but could clear more.

I loaded Leopard off the disk. To be completely honest, I am not sure of what you mean by clean install.

5. stevegmu macrumors regular

A clean install means wiping everything, as if the computer were new, vs. an archive-install- which keeps the files and settings. I recently did a clean install of Tiger on an old eMac I keep around, and the difference in speed was very noticeable.

6. matthew$ thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any instructions on Apple's site or anywhere that would walk me through a clean install? If I do a clean install, can I go back to Tiger or do you not think that to be necessary? Thanks.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I believe the rule of thumb is to keep 1/3rd or 1/4th free for optimum performance for the smaller internal drives.

8. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

How big is the disk, total size. Work out what 10% is and if you have more than you should be fine. I suspect you should be fine.

Did you choose "Upgrade", "Archive-and-Install" or "Clean Install" when you installed it ?

9. stevegmu macrumors regular

10. matthew$ thread starter macrumors newbie

Will a clean install delete stuff off my computer? Should I go back to Tiger?

Thanks for putting up with my mac ignorance.

11. stevegmu macrumors regular

Erase and install wipes out everything- like when you bought the computer.
    I'm not sure of the differences in resource usage between Tiger and Leopard, but I assume Tiger would use less.
    Erase and install is really the way to go.

12. matthew$ thread starter macrumors newbie

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yes. A newer OS will never require fewer resources than an older OS; your computer will be fastest if you load the oldest OS it can run. If you don't have Panther, go with Tiger. Either will be a step forward from Leopard if you're trying to speed things up.