Need Help Splitting Movie in iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by randomusername, Aug 26, 2008.

1. randomusername macrumors 6502

I was making a video to put on youtube on iMovie but when I tried to upload the video I learned that it couldn't be longer than 10 minutes. I decided to split the film into 2 parts but I can not find out how. Also, if that doesn't work can someone please give me a link to a a video site that will let me upload videos that are mv4 (that's what iMovie saves it as) or just tell me if there's a way to make iMovie save it in a different format. Thanks.

2. Zer00 macrumors member

Zer00

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

In iMovie, play or drag through the clip until you get to where you want to cut it. Then use the apple+T key-combo command. This will split the video clip. Click the one you no longer want, and delete it. This should not edit the original file if it was imported somewhere other than iMovie. Otherwise I suggest backing up the file as a different name before trying this.

To save as a different format, go to Share>>Quicktime>>then select Advanced (or something the like) from the drop down menu. if you go to the osxtechtips site in my signature below i have a video on useing a video camera to import a clip, then using imovie to edit it and save it. Just watch that towards the middle or end to see how to do it exactly.

Best, sorry, not in front of my mac right this minute.

Brian

4. randomusername thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't need to split a certain clip, but the whole movie I made that consists of many clips.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Then move the playhead to 10 minutes, CMD-T the bad boy, delete everything to the right, then export. Or edit all your clips down to 10 minutes total.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I did something similar in iMovie HD once, but I am not sure how it would work in the current iMovie.

The workflow was:

• Create, edit and complete the whole movie disregarding the length
    • Save that as a project (let's say Movie A)
    • Find a point in the movie that I wanted to split it (in your case somewhat less than 10 min. into it.) Easiest to just find a division point between two clips.
    • Delete all clips AFTER that point.
    • Save this new "half a movie" as a new project (Movie B)
    • RELOAD the complete Movie A
    • Remove all clips BEFORE the split point
    • Save this new "half a movie" as another project (Movie C)
    • Use the two movies (B & C) independently as the two halves that together make up the "full" movie.