Need help, SR MBP won't power on...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fongyuen, Mar 16, 2008.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

here's the situation: brought my mbp to visit my family in another city and to save some weight, i didn't bring my power adapter, opting instead to use a macbook power plug that my relatives had. never experienced a problem with this before in the past so i didn't hesitate to leave my adapter at home.

2 days ago, my cousin was playing COD4 on my mbp when the computer just shut down and refused to turn back on. I tried the suggestions on this apple website to no avail. when i press the batt. indicator, it's just one button blinking, but when i plug the mb adapter the light is green and the batt doesn't charge (although just a few days ago it did charge with this adapter). Since i'm currently in china and not going back to the States till summer, taking my mbp to an Apple Store is not an option. my only hope now is that when i take my mbp back home and plug the right adapter in, it'll charge. any thoughts? thanks in advance.

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

i believe a MB adapter can only charge a MBP when it is turned off.. when it is running it can only run not charge... but since there was a game being played it couldnt even do that

try just leaving it off with the power adapter plugged in for a day or more... but you should really order an adapter from there, when you get home you will have 2

3. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i'm hoping that's what the problem is, but i guess i won't find out till i go home this wkend and plug in the mbp power adapter. the strange thing is that the couple of days before this happened, i was using the mb adapter just fine to charge my mbp (when not in use) but now it's not charging at all....

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

the Macbook power adapter can run the Macbook pro but cannot run and charge it at the same time (same as the flight adapter). in your case, i suspect the battery level is way too low leading me to believe that the Macbook pro need its battery already charged a bit to get a chance to run off the Macbook adapter.

5. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm, hopefully that's the answer. i'm kicking myself for not bringing the mbp adapter. :/ thanks again.