Need help! Stick with 27", or go with macbook+mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigGroll, Feb 2, 2010.

1. BigGroll macrumors member

Hello all! I need a bit of advice, I'm rather stuck on what to do.

I am currently the proud owner of a 27" Imac (3.06 ghz) that is totally stock. Its an awesome computer, I love it, and I've never had any issues with it. However, I've found myself in a bit of a predicament for two reasons:

1. I would really like a laptop
    2. I do NOTHING that requires this much power/screen size

If I'm being honest with myself, I could probably get by with a netbook. I'm a senior in college (looking at grad school) studying marketing. I do basic internet surfing, typing papers, playing online poker, and watching the occasional youtube video. Yes I realize the Imac was probably a bit of overkill, but I had a mac mini before and I just couldnt the set up.

So the local Best Buy that I work at has an open box previous gen macbook (2.13 ghz) for $584. Ive gotten to inspect it, its in perfect condition, it comes with everything, and it still has applecare remaining.

Im also interested in getting a base mac mini, just to hook up to my 47 inch lg lcd to use as a HTPC of sorts. This is pretty much all I would use it for.

So, Ive gotten an offer for my Imac of $1650 from craigslist. (Its in perfect condition, with a logitech mx revolution and office 08.

So what do you think? Should I sell the Imac, and purchase the macbook and mac mini? Help please!!!!

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Sell your iMac for $1650:

Buy the MacBook for $584, meaning you have $1,066 left.

Save up another $133, and buy the base 21.5" iMac, which will be much better than the Mac Mini :)

3. BigGroll thread starter macrumors member

No I dont really have an interest in the smaller Imac, I would be using my desktop (aka the mac mini) primarily for streaming video to my tv, thats why I would hook it up to the tv. I would use the laptop for general computing

4. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

5. chris7777 macrumors 6502

if you can get $1650, for your Imac sell it, thats better tha nyou would get from apple in restocking fees.

the macbook sounds Good especially if you already work for best buy and can check the condition of it yourself W/o having to worry about a salesman lying to you just to sell it.

I had bought a MBP 15 last year, and decided it just wasn;t portable enough for me. And went ahead and took the restocking hit.

Plus the macbook for $584 would be a much better computer than any netbook especially with the nvida graphics.

I wouldn't mind an imac myself, but I am just having a hard time tying myself down to one place, though I definitely would not mind the screen real estate for artwork.

I am trying to hold out and see if the upcoming MBP revisions will include the new processors in the 13", and then when I can save the money get an external monitor for graphics work.