Need help, stuck deciding on a new system

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc871, Dec 28, 2014.

1. bc871 macrumors newbie

Looking for any advice, or experiences. Been on the fence about upgrading my 2008 iMac, I think it is finally time to buy new. I have been to the Apple Store a dozen times or more, and am still stuck deciding between a new iMac, 13" MacBook pro or the 15.4" Macbook pro. Price is a bit of an issue, but I am concerned about performance as well. I don't "need" to be portable, but would really like that option, but the price on the quad i7 MacBooks is almost double an iMac. I do a lot of photo and video encoding (iMovie, handbrake) on my current system, so anything will be an upgrade (currently it's painfully slow.). In a perfect world would like to get the MacBook pro 13", but with those only being dual core, I was looking for any input from people that have them, as well as any speed issues or examples using programs like handbrake, or should I go with the iMac for more bang for the buck, or go all in with the big MacBook. Any help and advice is appreciated!!
    B-
    :apple:

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If you really don't need portable, I think it's a no-brainer. Get an iMac, which gives you a much better display with a lot more real estate, a lot more storage, you can hook up a nice mechanical keyboard, some cool speakers, and have a banging workstation for less money.

And if you do need something portable, yet not a portable workhorse, then get a wifi iPad. Or a Nexus tablet. Or a cheap Chromebook for $199.

So that's where I come down. If I don't really "need" it to be portable, I'm not paying for portable. Give me speed, power, and the vastly improved display for less money. Period.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you don't need to be portable and money is an issue, and you do movie editing/encoding, then you'd want as much as you can get. Hook yourself up with an iMac.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

iMac!

Unless you NEED portability, go with an iMac.

Far better price for what you get, plus a beautiful screen (retina or not).

I do miss my old MBA i7 when it comes to video encodes, but can't say the i5 does a terrible job, just not as fast.

I also do a ton of encodes, but they're seldom paying gigs, so time is less of an issue.

But serious, iMac.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

If you are using handbrake all day long, get an iMac.