Need Help-Subwoofer or Headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benlee, Feb 9, 2010.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I was going to buy some nice headphones to use while studying, etc. for use at my computer. I was leaning towards these:

Sony MDR7506: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-...hone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

But perhaps they are a little overboard for just listening to music at my computer.

Then I saw this subwoofer and I really need a subwoofer to complete my 5.1:

Polk Audio PSW10: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2A0CZG0007A9F&v=glance

I have a gift card to Amazon for $30 and don't really want to spend too much more than $100 right now on toys b/c I'm going to be dropping $2000 when Apple updates MBP line. So my question is which should I buy?(obviously this is a personal choice, but if you were in my situation what would you do---I'm feeling indecisive)

Another option is that I could get the subwoofer and then pick up a cheaper pair of headphones, such as these: Sony MDR-V150: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V150...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265759764&sr=8-5

Thoughts?

2. mcruzader macrumors regular

Get the subwoofer, you'll appreciate in games and movies. By the way Polk is a great brand, my whole 5.1 system is from them.

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Yeah. That's what I'm leaning towards. I have two Polk RTi4s and I love them. My rear speakers are cheap Jensens but they work OK for now. I want to get some nice rear Polks someday as well.

I fell in love with Polk when I first heard my RTi4s.

4. mcruzader macrumors regular

Yeah, I love my TSi300s too, make sure you take a look at newegg and camelegg.com in the future for prices, I saved a total of about 350 - 400 bucks just by making sure I bought the stuff at the right time.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think we need more info before we can give terribly useful advice. What do you primarily use the speakers for on the computer, and what are you trying to improve? Those headphones will give you much better sound than your 5.1 system, but obviously they are only good for 'personal' listening. If you want better sound from your speakers, then go that route. That said, I'd encourage anyone who is interested in music to try listening to a decent set of headphones (like the 7506's) - if you've never heard music (or a movie, for that matter) through good headphones, it will knock your socks off. $80 is headphones is often equivalent to many thousands of dollars in speakers.

6. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I went with the subwoofer. I think I can hold off on the headphones for now.

When I get my new MBP, I'll invest in a good set of headphones, probably the Sony's.

Thanks for the input.