Need Help-Switching from another Carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dball4, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dball4 macrumors regular

So today my dad came up to me and decided that I should go on my own for my cell phone (I'm 20 btw). I am currently on US Cellular and our contract isn't up until December and he wants me to switch before I head back to college in August. I looked at several phones and I like the iPhone best. Since I am on a family plan with them how would I switch to AT&T and keep my number while not affecting them, other than paying a little less on their bill? What do I have to do, and what is your advice for me?

Since I am a student I can get a discount from AT&T on my bill, but what voice plan should I get. The hard part will be switching from US Cellular which has free incoming everything and trying to calculate how much I use.

I appreciate all help an advice!

2. djgulia macrumors 6502

if you are prepared to pay the ETF with US Cellular, then just order an iphone from AT&T and port over your #. Your other option is just to start a new line of service with AT&T and just pay the remaining 6 months of your current line. I'm not sure if 6 months down the line you can port your number over.

US Cellular may have free incoming calls, but you should be able to see how minutes you average a month to give you an idea of your usage.