Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bosoxdawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Im sure this has been addressed before, but I see conflicting answers while googling the answer. I just got a new Macbook Pro and I have my Iphone 4 synced to my wife's Dell PC. Can I just authorize my Macbook Pro and hook up the phone and start syncing it to it? If I lose my music and apps, it's no big deal. I can just re-download the apps and I don't listen to music that much on the phone. It tells me that I am going to loose all of my info from the phone. I want to keep my contacts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
Have you set up an iCloud account yet? Have it sync/backup your contacts.

So even if anything happens to them, you can just log back into your iCloud account and the contacts will come right back.

AnthonySmith

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
Southern CA
Im sure this has been addressed before, but I see conflicting answers while googling the answer. I just got a new Macbook Pro and I have my Iphone 4 synced to my wife's Dell PC. Can I just authorize my Macbook Pro and hook up the phone and start syncing it to it? If I lose my music and apps, it's no big deal. I can just re-download the apps and I don't listen to music that much on the phone. It tells me that I am going to loose all of my info from the phone. I want to keep my contacts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Set up an iCloud account. Backup your phone to iCloud. Syncing with a Mac will wipe out your phone because it is currently programmed for PC. Sync with Mac then restore from backup from iCloud if you wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.