Need help syncing Apps from iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brig2221, Jan 20, 2011.

1. brig2221 macrumors 6502

As the title indicates, I am needing help in syncing all of the apps on my iPhone 3GS from within iTunes. I haven't actually synced my iPhone to my computer in well over a year I imagine. I have downloaded scores of apps on my iPhone through the built in App store on the phone.

I was able to successfully sync my iPhone and upgraded my OS to 4.2.1. I figured I might as well back up my apps and went to the Apps tab within iTunes while my phone was connected. When I click on the "Sync Apps" button, I get the following pop up message:

"Are you sure you want to sync apps? All existing apps and their data on the iPhone will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library".

My iTunes library only shows one app, Angry Birds. I have a ton of apps on the phone itself. The way I read it is, if I actually follow through and attempt to sync my apps, iTunes will blow away all of my downloaded apps and leave me only with Angry Birds. Surely that can't be the case?

I would think iTunes would want to import and sync whatever new apps you have on your iPhone to your iTunes account, not the other way around. I am afraid to actually go through clicking the sync button for my apps as I don't want to lose them all.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nevermind, I figured it out. I somehow figured out to right click over the name of "iPhone" under the devices heading within iTunes, and then chose transfer purchases. That seems like a real odd way of going about it to me.

That said, another issue came up that I need help with. It said I first had to authorize my computer before it would allow me to transfer my purchases, which I did. When I did, it told me that I had just authorized 5 out of my available 5 computers.

Have no idea how I got to five. I had an old computer forever that I had, then I got a new Macbook about a year ago that I got rid of, and same thing with an iPad. Got a new laptop that I am working off of now, so that is only 4 by my account. Regardless, I have somehow authorized my allotted 5 computers.

What exactly would happen or would I need to do if god forbid I decide to get another or a new computer in the near future???

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Once you have five computers authorized, you will get an option in iTunes under the "Store" tab to deauthorize all computers. If you dont get that message, you can email iTunes and they will deauthorize all computers for you.
    Once that has been done you can reauthorize the computer that you currently use.

4. brig2221 thread starter macrumors 6502

You the man. Thanks!

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

6. dizzyagain macrumors newbie

I am in the same position that you were in here.

The question I have to you is: after transferring the purchases to your iphone, did you then go ahead and click 'Sync Apps' and press ok to the warning dialog box? Did this preserve all the app data on your iphone (such as where you are in games you have been playing for 2 years!!!).

Thanks,
    Ilai

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You don't "transfer purchase to the phone". Right click on your device in iTunes, select "transfer Purchases", that will transfer your apps to iTunes. Click on the apps tab for your device, and rearrange your apps to match your phone, that will keep the app positions and folders that you have set on your phone.
    Syn your phone, the app data will be preserved

8. dizzyagain macrumors newbie

Hi JamesMB,

Sorry that was my mistake - it was late at night.

I have actually transferred purchases to itunes but still when I go to the apps tab everything is greyed out because the 'Sync Apps' option is still unticked.

Ticking it gives me the same warning message I had even before I "Transferred Purchases" - and I am afraid that if I continue all my apps will be moved to iphone from itunes but all the app data on the phone will be removed.

Cheers,
    Ilai

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Have you got everthing else off the phone that you want off, such as photos, music.... If you have, then it is safe to proceed.

If you have "transferred purchases", under the apps tab, select sync apps, rearrange your apps and folders, and click apply, the phone will sync. Yeah, I know that you are gonna get the warning. Take a deep breath, and click apply.:D

10. blewvelvet macrumors newbie

Yeah..Transfer Purchases BUT...

The rearrange app thing is really time consuming.

What if you have dozens of organized many groups and settings and placement of these apps. You will spend a whole afternoon reorganizing and structuring.

Why can't you simply tell iTunes...take the same lineup of my apps on my iphone and "copy this"?

It seems like a simple sync to function. Like one of the first options you would design in the concept of syncing.

You can do it in MobileMe. You can tell which device which direction you want the exact data to flow.