Need help-Time Machine transfer of iTunes error between iTunes versions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScutMonkey, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ScutMonkey macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am a new mac user (total convert--am on my second iMac in a month and am about to buy a macbook), and am having trouble with my itunes service. My first 24" iMac developed a clicking HDD, so I was lucky enough to be able to bring it back to the shop for a replacement iMac. I made a time machine backup of the first Mac and copied directly to the second one (which was flawless....how come I haven't been using macs prior to now? I've lost dozens of backups on PC). The only issue I've had is with iTunes--I keep getting an error that the iTunes library is newer than the version of iTunes on the computer. Is there anyway to fix this without losing my entire library of songs? I did make up a physical copy of the iTunes folder on my first Mac, just in case, so I assume that I could delete iTunes and reinstall a fresh copy, update it, and then copy the iTunes folder over to the new version. But this is a Windows approach to the issue and there is probably a simpler way of fixing this. Alternately, I could do the same but sync my iPod and copy everything to my library that way. If anyone has any better ideas to help out a new Mac user, I would appreciate the help greatly!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like you should just update to the latest version of iTunes. Doing so will not effect your library.

3. ScutMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I would if I could. Every time I click on iTunes to update it, it will not allow me to open it because of the library error. That's the problem, I can't update it as is. Is there a way to distance the library from iTunes long enough to do an update?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. ScutMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've done that. Will the new version overwrite the old version, keeping the library intact?
    Sorry for my ignorance on this, but I'm so used to Windows with Vista screwing up everything that I'm extra wary about doing anything to "break" my Mac. I have a very high end Dell (the XPS M2010) that Vista has made virtually unusable, so I'm extra careful on making program changes. Thanks for the advice, however!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just went ahead with your advice and it worked beautifully. Man, things are so much easier on a Mac! Again, thanks for all the help. Now if I could get someone to help me with my Boot Camp issue I'd be set!

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Installing it will not have nay effect on your library.