Need help to buy a new laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firstofmay, Sep 12, 2014.

1. firstofmay macrumors newbie

I am one step away from buying my first mac.

My last windows laptop, a lenovo yoga 13 broke down after eight months and since they could not find the parts needed (motherboard, ssd) I took my money back.

So now I am considering buying a mac book pro 13, MGX82 for three reasons

1.Love the screen
    2.More reliable
    3.We probably live once so why not to try something different.

Therefore I would like to know if broadwell and yosemite will bring significant change. I know it will be faster and more energy efficient but what I am afraid of is for example a touchscreen or anything of that magnitude.

Thank you

2. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Not sure what you are asking? Would recommend the MBPr in any configuration to anyone. My only fixed requirements are:
    1. SSD
    2. Retina

Just buy it; once you get it you will wish you bought it a year ago - at least that's what my friends say.

My brother in law buys cheap pc laptops and scraps them every 18 months or so. He laughs at the +$3k price I paid for MBPr 15. I usually sell my macs after 3 years at about 50% of what I paid. Total cost of ownership much lower for me.

3. firstofmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you LxHunter

My question basically is, should I buy now or should I wait for the broadwell model to come out? Will it have major changes like a touchscreen?

4. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Anything is possible, they could surprise everyone and release one with touch. But it's highly unlikely, we probably would've heard something by now. If you have the money to buy one now, pull the trigger and pick one up. I'll be doing the same as soon as I have the cash together. =D

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you need a new laptop now, buy it now. The Broadwell chips will most likely offer a slight speed increase (nothing really noticeable unless you're doing lots of video rendering) and slightly longer battery life.

Apple has no plans to go to a touch screen. The reality is that touch screens have been a flop with WinDoze laptops.

The big issue with Broadwell is...when. Indications are at this point they might arrive sometime mid-2015 (i.e. May/June/July 2015).

If it were me - I'd make the switch now.

6. Lachhh macrumors regular

I'll have to agree with Bending Pixels - get one now if you need one now. And no, I'll eat several hats if Apple should introduce touchscreen functionality anytime in the next 5 years, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I bought the baseline 15" MBP 2014 and I haven't looked back. Thus far it could handle pretty much everything I threw at it very well (working with CAD, modern games, Photoshop and the likes) works like a dream, and this is just the baseline model.

I'm not saying it's fast because the computer I've upgraded from was ancient - I'm actually coming from a tricked out gaming tower which smoked pretty much everything out there right now, and I'm still saying this computer is fast.

Not sure what you're going to be up to, but I'm going to wager you'll be happy with the power of the current line-up.

7. firstofmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all

Thank you all for the immediate responses, I will most probably get MGX82 on Monday.

8. Lachhh macrumors regular

kl. When you do, report back. :cool:

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

If you don't do much other than word, excel, internet I would just get an entry level MacBook Pro Retina.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

11. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Just get one now. I can't imagine Apple will put a touchscreen into its computers anytime soon (or ever).

And like said above, getting a refurb would be a great idea. From my understanding, the update that happened recently only raised the clock speeds, I don't think anything else of value was added.

12. firstofmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question, hopefully my last

Refurbished would be great but since I live in Greece, that's not an option.

MGX82 is 90euro more than the entry model MGX72 and has double storage (256gb), I could be ok with 128gb but I think it's worth the difference.

Another question, hopefully my last. I met a guy yesterday, watching soccer in case anybody got confused, who was using his macbook pro and talked a bit about that. Anyway, he was very persistent that I should wait for the ones that have yosemite pre-installed because if you upgrade from last version it's always worse(slower, less stable etc). To be honest, I am not sure if that's the case. It would be problematic for so many users, I am also planning to keep the laptop for at least five years so I will most probably have to upgrade to a newer software at some point. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think we'll see any major changes to the MBP for the Broadwell machines. We'll not this of course until they release an update sometime in 2015. Are you willing to wait that long?

Personally, I'd pull the trigger and enjoy it now.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

A touchscreen on an Apple laptop will not happen. They have iPads for that. It's stupid, useless, unergonomic to the extreme and a smudge magnet.

----------

That guy you talked to doesn't know what he's talking about, I have an older MBP that has been upgraded from 10.4 that it came with all the way to 10.9 it is currently running, each OS upgrade was not a clean install, and everything works as it should, no slow downs or problems.

15. firstofmay, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

firstofmay thread starter macrumors newbie

Last one, I promise

What's this ghosting issue on the display? Is it still an issue? I can't find related information for 2014.

Thank you

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

IPS panels all suffer some degree of image retention. It's one of the few tradeoffs of that display technology. Most displays have such a minute degree of image retention that it is all but impossible to notice, while others show "burn-in" after only a few minutes of a static image showing.

Honestly, a new computer has a warranty, covering manufacturing defects. If you buy a computer that shows image retention, just exchange it under warranty, that's what the warranty's there for anyway.