Need help. To Buy or not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MeijApple, Apr 17, 2007.

1. MeijApple macrumors newbie

Hi out there,

I am new to Apple and Imac's. I am in the market for a 24" Imac and planned to wait till leopard is out.

In order to decide if i should wait any longer or buy th 24" Imac i have the following questions:
    1 - Will there be any relevant updates on the Imacs within the next several months?
    2 - Will there be an free update offer to Leopard (and iLife) after 11 june?
    3 - Will there be any price drops the next several months regarding the Imacs?

Okay please submit the correct answers.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a lot of people will tell you that this question's been asked many times before, and that you can find several threads regarding the matter with a simple search. to answer your questions:

1. it's likely imacs will be updated in the coming weeks/months. how relevant these updates are is anybody's guess. faster processors, better graphics cards, different case design? who knows?

2. it's unlikely apple will offer a free upgrade to leopard on new macs purchased after june 11. usually, "free" upgrades are given to those who buy after the announced ship date of leopard (and that usually happens a month before launch). and by "free" i mean $20 (or is it $10?).

3. i doubt it, but you never know. only apple does.

3. MeijApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnx.

For me question 2 and 3 are solved. They won't hold me to buy an 24" Imac right now. But only question 1 remains. Different case ? No big deal, but graphics card and processor certainly are !

But regarding the imac processor update? Intel is not releasing any updates. I hear a lot of Santa Rosa, but are those not for mobile chips ? And Penryn will be Q3 or Q4.

Has anybody have some info regarding the processor updates?

Thanks, Very close to buy a 24" Imac. :D :D :D

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

imacs use mobile processors, the same ones found in the macbook pro. so the santa rosa platform is very likely going to show up in the imac.

5. MeijApple thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't know. But as i said befor, new to apple and mac's.

Well in that case i just have to wait ( :( ). The new processors certainly will show up in the imac.

Thanks

6. MeijApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I Bought 24

Hi everyone,

I just couldn't wait. I bought the 24".

I just love it. Easy installation, really slick design and very fast.
    No ugly cables. Just one power cord and a cord for the keyboard. Even my wive loves it. She is asking me why are there very little mac users.

Microsoft and dell is levaing my home ! Today there is one more big apple fan !

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. joachim macrumors member

Congrats! I laughed after reading, "Well in that case I will just have to wait," followed by another post going, "Hi everyone, I just couldn't wait!"

Anyway, you'll never regret that purchase as the 24" iMacs are very beautiful machines. It should last you a long time. As for me, I'm still playing the waiting game.

8. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Great! I hope you enjoy your 24'' iMac. It is an amazing machine with a lot of possibilities. Don't forget to upgrade anything you can when you can. My sister is planning on getting an iMac once she moves in with her husband later this year. It only took me a two hour trip to MicroCenter to convince her to get one. Photobooth is a magnet for women, seriously.

9. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

Nice! Good machine. You will enjoy. I laughed to when I saw thos eposts back to back. Post your specs.

10. jotadeo macrumors regular

It's especially funny since the second of those posts came just over 24h later! :D

I've decided to pull the trigger on the low-end model of the MBPs, but I'm waiting for the stinking credit card that I signed up for to get here. Mr. Tom Petty sums it up nicely, "The wai-ai-ting is the hardest part"...first for spring (which obviously wasn't worth the wait), and now for a small piece of plastic...ugh!. Well, at least I've got a new monitor for my mini!!!

Good luck with the iMac, MeijApple!
    jdo

p.s. MeijApple, you wouldn't happen to know a girl named Maike (sp?) who has a brother named Jan Jaap (he had a bad accident in Spain) and a sister (whose name I've forgotten)? Gotta ask...you just never know...