Need help to change my desktop to what this guy has

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wttheninja, Mar 26, 2010.

1. wttheninja macrumors member

[​IMG]

I would like to make my desktop like that. Have the itunes box to be black like that an everything. Thanks!

2. durija macrumors 6502

3. ranguvar macrumors 6502

To put the dock at the right & change its theme: Use an app called SuperDocker.
    To change icons: Use Candybar or LiteIcon.
    To change system theme: Use Themepark and / or CLI. Look over at MacThemes or deviantART for available themes. Same thing for iTunes skins.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

unfortunately, apple makes it really difficult to theme/skin the OS. There was a burgeoning theming community on OSX back in the early days of 10.2 but apple continued make life difficult and eventually the theme culture for OSX is only a shell of itself now :(

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I remember going in to an Apple store for help and they took one look at my dock and said "Oh I see you are running Tiger". No. I ran some dock change utility. I think it was called super dock. Since then I've fallen back to the "defaults". I think Apple has done a good job making things accessible and readable and wallpaper is about as far as I want to go to tweak things.

Windows, OTOH, needs spotlight and it needs to lose the start menu. Having a thriving theme community can be perceived as evidence that an OS is not that well designed. The same is true for Linux. There are so many skins available to make it look like XP, Vista or OS X (Anything But Linux).

At this point, I care less about how it looks and more about how it works. After suffering with XP all day I'm greatly relieved to sit down in front of the default OS X when I get home from the office. I'm not dealing with constant freezes, annoying modal popup dialog boxes telling me stuff I don't care about or need to know that I must click on to continue, and that damned start menu that is a disorganized mess. I click spotlight, type the first few letters of the app I need and I'm off and running in under 5 seconds. It sometimes takes XP 5 seconds for each page of the start menu to come up. Then there's the always broken file associations. I found I like Spotlight so much, I've just about eliminated every shortcut from the dock. It's not worth scanning around for the icon when all I need is to click Spotlight and type ope{enter} to get openoffice.org or iph{enter} to get iphoto.

So I know there are some crying about the decline of theming on OS X. Believe me, there's theming a plenty available on some inferior OS's out there and I don't miss it one bit on OS X.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That pretty much sums up my feeling at this stage of my life as well :)

I used to theme a lot when I could but now, its not a huge deal. Like you said, as long as it works. I do miss the freedom to change it, and that's my biggest knock.

7. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I'm perfectly happy with OS X out of the box--mostly. You've got to admit, the stock dock is hideous. I'm always jarred by it when I jump on someone else's machine. This is always one of the first things I do when I (re)install OS X.

[​IMG]

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member