Need help to fix a high noise when i press the keyboard !?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by hanki9155, May 19, 2009.

1. hanki9155 macrumors newbie

I need some help with one strange thing that happend just an hour ago. When i was playing on my Midi Keyboard suddently one of the piano buttons didn't reply at all. I pressed it several times but it didn't reply, then after 30 seconds it suddently came a tone from the button but it was a high noise that wouldn't stop so i had to shut down Logic Pro 8. I oppened it again and the button responded correctly 3 times when i pushed it, but then the same problem startet again. The strange thing is that the button reply correctly when i change the octave up or down ( i have a button that change 1-3 octaves up and 1-3 octaves down) but the problem remains when i have the octave on normal.

Do somebody know anything about this ? Would really appreciate if someone could help me fix this problem.

//Hankie

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Just to by more clear, I think you mean "key" not "button". After all the device is called a "keyboard". (Yes I know English makes no sense.)

Next question is (1) which keyboard are you using and (2) where is the tone being generated? In the keyboard or in a software instrument?

Seing as you say "logic" then maybe a software instrument controlled from a midi keyboard. If so can you look at the recorded midi events that were sent?

3. hanki9155 thread starter macrumors newbie

The keyboard i use is a MAudio axiom 61 keys that i connect to the computer via USB cable. The tone is generated in the software istrument.When i try to record the tone nothing happens, i can't hear the tone and you can't se the tone on the cumputer screen either. It's like the key doesn't exist.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

If all the keys work except one then I'd say it's a broken key. But if when you use the
    "transpose" function that key works then it can't be a broken physical key. It has to be is the keyboard decoder electronics. Either way it sounds to me like you need to contact MAudio about repair.

5. hanki9155 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the store and they gave a new keyboard and the same thing happend with that one. So it got to be something wrong with the software ?

6. hanki9155 thread starter macrumors newbie

On my 61 key keyboard it's the highest F key that is not functioning when i have it in the normal octave (or transpose 0). When i transpose 1 octave up then it's the second highest F key that is not working. And if i transpose 2 octaves up then i the third highest F key that is not working. And if i understand it right then it's the F key with that exact frequency ( no matter where i play it on my keyboard, like transpose the tone one or two octaves up/down) that the computer or software is unable to detect.
    Do anybody know if there is a setting on Logic that block certain frequencies or anything similar to that ?

Sometime when i play a song ( which not include the "damaged" F key), some tones just keep ringing and it wont stop. I noticed that the indicator next to the icon of the instrument you're playing on the tracklist (that normally goes to zero when you release the key) responds as if i was still pressing the key. This happens sometimes and could it be linked to the other problem with the F tone?

Sorry for my english but that's the best way i can express the problem.

7. Paul Ashton macrumors newbie

Paul Ashton

I had a similar symptom of notes not releasing when using a cheap midi interface that I used to use when travelling. I never proved it, but I always thought that it was poor connections from the midi plug into the small keyboard because the same interface worked better with other keyboards. But as you are connecting the M-Audio keyboard with a USB cable then I guess my comment is probably not much help ....

At least you have eliminated the keyboard as a fault. The next logical point of failure is the USB port. Perhaps the USB port is not providing enough power and therefore giving unpredictable results. The M-Audio keyboard is bus powered from the computer. To eliminate this problem as a possible cause, either plug out all other USB devices that may also be consuming power except the keyboard, or better use a USB port expander that has its own supply. Note: usually devices do run better plugged directly to the computer's own USB port - but here we are trying to eliminate the computer USB port as the cause of the problem

8. hanki9155 thread starter macrumors newbie

In worst case scenario, can i unistall logic and then install it again and still be able to update , download patches etc ?

9. Paul Ashton macrumors newbie

Paul Ashton

I do not believe this is a Logic problem. Have you checked the USB ports as in my last message

10. hanki9155 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i did as you suggested and pluged out all USB connections exept for the keyboard. The keyboard has a 1.1 USB connection, does that cause a problem? In the usermanual for my keyboard they described the exact problem that i got and i was supposed to press two buttons to reset the keyboard. I did that but the problem still remains.

11. hanki9155 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you paul and chris for taking your time but i finally managed to fixed the problem. It had to do with the zone range settning on my keyboard that i accidentally pressed which cause the problem.

12. Paul Ashton macrumors newbie

Paul Ashton