Need help to install Lion on my MacBook Air 2011

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iWind130290, Aug 31, 2011.

1. iWind130290 macrumors member

Hi everybody. I've just joined MacRumors Forums for a few days. I've tried to research so much before creating this thread. So I hope that somebody can help me to resolve my problem. And here it is:
    I have a new MacBook Air 2011. I tried to re-installing Lion by RecoveryHD because it had gotten struck before. But the system displayed a report like this: "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer."
    Thank you for all of your points.
    Dear.

2. arkaine23 macrumors newbie

How are you installing it? Are you booting the recovery partition and running the installer from there?

2011 Macbook Airs have a special build of Lion so if you had captured the InstallESD.dmg from another mac when downloading Lion through the app store, it won't work on a 2011 Air.

I reinstalled a 2011 Air recently by booting the recovery partition and running the Lion Installer. It validated the system and used the correct URL to get the special build of Lion for 2011 Airs. I copied the InstallESD.dmg before rebooting so I'd have a way to make an install DVD or instadmg image from it.

3. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

4. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Any Mac you buy today comes with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) installed.

The new MacMini and MacAir have a special 10.7 installed on them, to reinstall the OS on these machines you boot into the recovery mode.

Hugh

5. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Sorry in advance if you consider this to be thread hijacking, but I just want to make a suggestion for you and others who have a MBA with Lion up and running (hopefully you'll get things working soon).

I know you can do this same kind of thing with Time Machine, but one thing I do when I get a new Mac and/or do a fresh install of the OS on a Mac is do a clone (backup). What you'll need is an external hard drive at least as big as the amount of drive space your using on the internal drive in your computer. Then, install a free app called Carbon Copy Cloner, found here:

http://www.bombich.com/download.html

What I do next is install any software that needs to be activated, notably MS Office 2011 where a re-install has the potential to fail the activation process. You can install as much as you want at this point but I try to keep this backup pretty lean. That way when I restore this backup I don't have a lot of old versions of apps or other things I've quit using. If you like to set up your computer a certain way (don't we all?), this is good time to make those tweaks (icon sizes, fonts, that kind of stuff).

The beauty of this method, especially on the MBA, is that you don't have to go through the recovery drive method. If you need to re-install the OS you just boot from the external drive, run Carbon Copy Cloner, and restore to the internal drive. You just run the restore, go get a cup of coffee, come back and it's done. It's a lot quicker and you don't have to wait to download the OS again. Plus, you have your tweaks and apps already in place.

Just a suggestion.

6. iWind130290 thread starter macrumors member

It's my fault becuz I didn't say it clearly. My MacBook Air had got a problem with CPU then I had to send it to Apple. After a short time they gave it back to me and I started trying to re-install the OS with RecoveryHD. I mean the RecoveryHD had come with Lion before I sent my MacBook Air to Apple. I know that MacBook Air has a special build of Lion. So, why can't I re-install with the RecoveryHD which had come with my MacBook Air before? And the reason maybe not important. I hope you can help me to resolve this problem. Thanks for all of your ideas.
    Dear