need help to play .wmv files attached to emails

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lorddunstan, Aug 24, 2007.

1. lorddunstan macrumors newbie

hi, im running a macbook osx 10.4.10 and using entourage as my mail program. i have downloaded and installed windows media player 9.
    when i try to open the attachment i get a quicktime message saying this is not a video file. however if i save the file to desktop and then open it through wmp it plays fine.
    how can i configure entourage to use wmp for .wmv files?
    any tips much appreciated.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Basically, opening the attachment is downloading the file. It just downloads it to a temp directory. You need to set .wmp to play on WMP9 by default.

So, if you right click (ctrl+click) a .wmv file, then click 'Get Info', go to the expandable portion that says open with. Select WMP9 from the drop down menu in that section, then there is a button that sets it to open all files of this type with this application.

Best,

Brian

3. thegrifman macrumors regular

Get rid of Windows Media Player, MS no longer supports it. Instead download Flip4Mac which is what MS actually recommends now to play wmv's. It allows you to play them in Quicktime itself.

4. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Yes I heard that alot of Mac users use this. I have been told by my OS that some WMP files should be used in conjuction with Flip4Mac. It's your best bet!! Good luck

:apple:

5. lorddunstan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks bmcgonag, its easy when you know how huh... that worked a treat. i will get flip4mac and see if i can get that up and running too compare.

6. lorddunstan thread starter macrumors newbie

just installed flip4mac, changed the .wmv association to it but it wont recognise them as video files. i can use wmp in the meantime but it would be good to get f4m running properly to compare.
    any suggestions appreciated.

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

are the file extensions visible?

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Flip4Mac can be used just as a plug-in, not a stand alone app. So your file association should be to Quicktime. I have no problem viewing .wmvs in Mail this way.

9. lorddunstan thread starter macrumors newbie