Need help transfering my video to my imac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pb1300, May 24, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

I recently recorded a wedding, with a Sony video camera that using mini dv, and now I want to transfer it to my iMac. I have it connected via FW, and I am running the transfer through iMovie. Does the transfer have to be at the normal running time of the cassette, or can I fast forward it? Also, is iMovie the best to go with, or does anyone have any other suggestions? And just some advice would be helpful as well since I am kind of new with this video stuff, and there is a market for it here where I live because its not available that much here. Thanks for the help!

2. Sam1487 macrumors member

Sam1487

The tape has to play back as if you were watching it normally while the software captures it in.

I only used iMovie once in my time with Mac, and that was just curiosity - I'm a Final Cut Pro user so I can't really offer any tips/help with iMovie, but the process of capturing a tape (i.e. having to play the tape back to capture) is standard procedure.

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have FCP too, legit copy too lol, but never used it yet. I want to do some editing of the video, so I will try it out as well. One thing I noticed after transferring the first video is that the audio is overly loud. We had a line going into the camera directly from the sound board, but the volume was turned up a little much. Any suggestions on how to kill some of the excess noise and distortion?

4. -DH macrumors 65816

If the audio is distorted (clipped) there's not much you can do to salvage it. The best hope is a reshoot - this time using good quality headphones to monitor the audio you're recording.

-DH

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If the volume is just too loud, then there is volume control for clips in iMovie.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I use iMovie for my videos. Its REALLY easy to use. But I'm sure if you want better editing and production tools, you need to go with something more powerful. However, if this is just a simple video, nothing profesional needed, iMovie is the way to go. You can edit all your clips, take out the crap you don't need, add titles, make dvds with chapters, etc.

7. WayneH1 macrumors member

Being new, I'd highly recommend you stick to iMovie for a while and learn it pretty well. Advancing to FC Express or Pro may never be needed. I have all 3 options on my machine and I use iMovie 10x more than the others. It's just so fast and easy to throw something together. But if you really need to step up, for some specific reason because you can't do what you want in iMovie, the learning curve for FC is a bit steep at first. You'll want a very good reason to be investing that time to learn the more advanced tool.