Need help transferring data from one iphone 3G to another

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yOyOYoo, Mar 4, 2012.

1. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Hi guys, I need some personal help for my sister's iPhone 3G.

She's currently in the US using her old iphone on the 3G network. Her power button has been stuck and giving her problems so I ordered her another 3G.

Old phone information
    Version 3.0 (7A341)
    Carrier 4.0
    Modem Firmware: 04.26.08

I bought her another used 3G off of ebay and I am not sure how to transfer her prevous data: appointments, contacts, text messages, etc. I was reassured by the seller that this new phone is unlocked and has Cydia preinstalled.

New phone information
    Version 4.2.1 (8C148)
    Carrier 9.0
    Modem Firmware: 05.13.04

When I plug the new phone into iTunes, the previous owner's name is still on, however all data has been cleared out.

Can someone tell me how to back up the data on the old phone, so I can sync it onto the new phone for my sister, without messing up the unlock feature.

As a side note, when we first put the sim card into the new phone, it took a while before it could find the Tmobile carrier... like 10 -15 minutes, which seemed excessively long. Is it possible the sim card receiver on the new phone may have a poor connection causing this delay?

The new phone works just fine now, waiting to hear back from one of you experts on how to transfer the previous data onto the new phone.

Thank you so much in advance.

2. yOyOYoo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Nevermind guys, I figured it out! I just "backed" up my data on the old phone, then "restored" data onto my new phone.

This has not affected the jailbreak or unlock.